Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for 4.7 gears (jingle bells, jingle bells :) and the page at marlin mentions 21 or 23 spline input gear

... will the 4.7 gears work with both or do I have to specify the spline count?

is there an (easy) way to find out the spline-count, without cracking open the case?

how can i ID the case and make sure its not the chain driven one?

I am a little uncertain, as my 95 single cab has been rolled or hit hard and it has a 97 transfer case in it (at least thats what the seller told me) - it also sits on a double-cab frame :eek:

thx for any pointers

alfred

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
v6 - 23 spline. If your not sure call marlin he could tell you every single detail you want and don't want to know about your case ;)

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
When you first said it had a 97 transfer case I was thinking Tacoma, with a chain drive case. But, your from Chile so not sure what you have. Like was said call Marlin or post on his website to find out for sure.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yeah, Alfred. You need to be a little more specific. Give us the specs on your truck. You have about 30 minutes till Marlin opens shop anyway.

We need to know:

1. what model you have
2. automatic or manual
3. petrol or diesel
4. if petrol, 4 or 6 cylinder

KC

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KC_JoNeS said:
Yeah, Alfred. You need to be a little more specific. Give us the specs on your truck. You have about 30 minutes till Marlin opens shop anyway.

We need to know:

1. what model you have
2. automatic or manual
3. petrol or diesel
4. if petrol, 4 or 6 cylinder

KC

OK, thx for looking out :)

its a ´95 Hilux singlecab-shortbed minitruck with a 22re engine w/ 5speed manual. It is a US-Model, my speedometer reads mph ...

should be the "typical" gear driven 2.28 toy-transfer, right?

are there any photos on the web of the transfer to 100% ID it correctly, as the transfer has been swapped out due to a total-crash???

... so i cant be positive that it is the original transfer.

I just want to avoid that i buy a marlin and go trough all the hassles of customs clearance just to find out that the 4.7 gears dont fit my transfer.

I dont think this is likely, but better save than sorry

again, thx
alfred
Chile

ps: here is a photo ... the truck came stock w/ IFS - and has had a SAS

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I guarantee it is the 21 spline. When the new T-case was put in, it was probably out of another W56, 22RE combo which will always be 21 spline. The 23 spline was in the R151 turbo tranny. So, I think you will have no problems with a 4.7 gear set. Just order it up and figure you have 21 spline. You could of course upgrade through Marlin to get the 23 spline...but it is a little pricey.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
When you call to order just verify what you have with marlin, he's a walking encyclopedia. I think there are some pics on his website also, just mosey on over therewww.marlincrawler.com . Did you do a SAS on your truck or did it come that way. I guess you did a SAS since you said it was a US model.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Randy wood here on the right coast is sell AA dual adpt and 4.7 gears for $640 as a set. I haven't been to marlins site in a bit but Randy may save you a few bucks.

But that truck should be 21 spline. Unless someone did some swapping somewhere down the line.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
OffroadRunner said:
Randy wood here on the right coast is sell AA dual adpt and 4.7 gears for $640 as a set. I haven't been to marlins site in a bit but Randy may save you a few bucks.

But that truck should be 21 spline. Unless someone did some swapping somewhere down the line.
Unless of coarse you want the better quality. ( Stick with Marlin) and don't worry about it When you call Marlin's shop, use a portable phone and have the truck near bye. Marlin will have you look under the truck and find certain things and he will tell you exactly what you have and what you need.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Marlin 4.7 gearsets....$399 Look in the vendor forum.

·
Registered
986 Posts
count the bolts holding the rear tailhousing on. chain drive has 7. gear driven has 5. thats a good thing to know:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thx folks ... that was great information...

somebody asked about the SAS ... it has been done locally here some 2 yrs ago, and it was done reasonably well....

not great but good ... caster is still a bit on the lower end, but nothing to grow grey hair about... i might just put a 1" longer shackle and we are good to go...

again,
thx
alfred

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
unless it is a v6 case , turbo case or you have upgraded to 23 spline youself then you are probably only 21 spline.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts