Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I don’t know if this is hard core but I will give it a shot…

I want to mount my Warren 8274 winch to the front of my CJ8. My issue is the size and mounting position if the stock stamped cross support is left. I want to remove the stamped piece and lower the winch to increase the mass air flow through the radiator in addition to reducing the bending moment about the frame due to the lower mounting of the winch.

My issue is the steering system. I don’t want to go too nuts here. I am currently running modified stock components. How is everyone mounting the steering box and grill if the stamped cross member is removed. I can fabricate something; however, I want to know how others here are dealing with this issue…… And yes I have searched, I am looking for more detailed pics of steering box mounting.

Tim

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
New crossmember, with gussets.

Moved steering box forward at the same time, made my own mount out of 3/4" & 1/2" stock. (I'd buy one now days, the one that moves the box forward 1" if I was you.)

Also moved the selnoid box under the hood.

Edit -> Even running a V8, with a 3 core Scout II rad, I NEVER get hot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
New crossmember, with gussets.

Moved steering box forward at the same time, made my own mount out of 3/4" & 1/2" stock. (I'd buy one now days, the one that moves the box forward 1" if I was you.)

Also moved the selnoid box under the hood.

Edit -> Even running a V8, with a 3 core Scout II rad, I NEVER get hot

Who sells the mount to move the steering box forward?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mr N. and B4wscrambler this is exactly what I was looking for. B4wscrambler how are you mounting the grill? Looks like you fabricated two mounts on the chassis…..Sweet rig

Tim

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I used 2 mount's on the chassis. I need to change the mount's or redo the bottom of the grill. My current setup is ripping apart the bottom of the grill. You get the general idea though.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Mines on a YJ so I had a little more room to wrk with between the frame rails.

I cut the front crossmember/body mount off. The factory body mount sticks out into where the winch drum goes so I cut it off & drilled a hole behind the grill.
I put in a peice of 1/4 plate broke on a 90.
It runs under the frame rails about 12" back.

The 8274 needs about 8.75" in front of the grill to fit. I cut off the factory shackle mounts & built some beefy ones out of 3/8" wall DOM and welded them to the bottom of the plate.

Then wrapped more 1/4" around the frame rails & across the top of the frame with just enough room for the 8274 to drop down in it.

I didn't have to do anything to the steering box other than notch out around the bottom for clearance

The new front body mount is welded to the 1/4" plate behind the winch & a bolt/bushing goes straight up into the grill.

If you want anymore pics, just let me know & I can take em for you.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
On my CJ, I made a square tube crossmember right under the radiator, with a small tab for the grill body mount.

One bracked doubled as the steering box and shackle hanger mount. Box relocated and re-angled, giving more tie rod-pitman arm clearance.

No pics, all this stuff was removed and reworked.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
austin1387 said:
Who sells the mount to move the steering box forward?
Don't remember, but a quick search should turn it up. Moved it 1" forward.

The only thing I wish I didn't different, moved the new (front most) crossmember out 2". That way I'd have more room for the grill, that winch sits very close...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts