1 - 20 of 973 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Maybe he got tired of changing lightbulbs?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I theory it is a good idea but i cant see how a timing chain would ever live very long keeping the two shafts in time. In a normal engine the timing chain is always under drag or has resistance, this engine would have the second shaft under resisitance and then under power. Seems like the chain would stretch quickly causing alot of slap and would put the shafts out of sync. The timing of this engine would be very critical to even have it start and run. Might better stick with the rotary "wenkel" engine that does the same thing with fewer problems.

·
Read Only
2,525 Posts
'The lubrication system is not a problem - it is a normal engine turned "upside-down".' :laughing:

I'm pretty sure my 318 won't be lubricated correctly if I turn it upside down.:homer:

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
'The lubrication system is not a problem - it is a normal engine turned "upside-down".' :laughing:

I'm pretty sure my 318 won't be lubricated correctly if I turn it upside down.:homer:

With the proper design, a V engine can run just fine upside down. Look at the Mecherschmitt ME 109.

·
Registered
34,274 Posts
I theory it is a good idea but i cant see how a timing chain would ever live very long keeping the two shafts in time. In a normal engine the timing chain is always under drag or has resistance, this engine would have the second shaft under resisitance and then under power. Seems like the chain would stretch quickly causing alot of slap and would put the shafts out of sync. The timing of this engine would be very critical to even have it start and run. Might better stick with the rotary "wenkel" engine that does the same thing with fewer problems.
Replace the timing chain with gears to solve that problem.

Kudos to anyone who is working on the ICE. My favorite is one that utilizes a geared crank so that the rods travel only up and down with no rotation at the crank. Supposedly very, very efficient in small engines.

1 - 20 of 973 Posts