Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has come to my knowledge that there were a hand full of 16v non ECM engines. I was wondering what year to look for if I wanted to find one such motor to get a disty?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
182 Posts
The only 16v Suzuki built engines that weren't EFI were installed in FWD cars, and not imported to the US. The distributor points straight out of the back of the head on these engines, and most of them were 1.3L displacement.

·
Registered
585 Posts
There are NON odb-ii 16v motors. ALL fuel injected (Multiport or throttle body) motors have ecm's..

The OLD 16v motors had an SEPERATE ignition coil and igniter. The odb-ii cars had a coil/igniter/distributor assembly..

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
It has come to my knowledge that there were a hand full of 16v non ECM engines. I was wondering what year to look for if I wanted to find one such motor to get a disty?

Thanks,

David

I just sold one to a guy that is designing and installing a motorcycle carb kit onto a 1.6 16V. I got it off of a JDM motor.

Sean

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 1600 16v non EFI engines were fitted to Swift 4WD cars, They had a downdraught SU type carb & the dizzy was mounted on the end of the cam. The cam was shorter than an EFI cam & the drive was via an offset slot. TBH I could not get mine to fit without trimming the fire wall.
After my engine let go big time I swapped it out for a Kick engine & used the Swift inlet manifold with an SU carb, I converted a 413 dizzy to run on the 16v

Tim

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just sold one to a guy that is designing and installing a motorcycle carb kit onto a 1.6 16V. I got it off of a JDM motor.

Sean
I don't know what to do with this thing. There is no mechanical advance and I can't find a cap for it not knowing the year or model car it came off of. Maybe it wasn't on a car at all but some kind of pump, compressor or generator? Without advance, I question how this is going to work.

What is a JDM motor?

I'm thinking about taking a 1.3 8V dizzy and putting the mechanical advance on the other side of the housing some how. Waiting to get a 8V donor dizzy in to further evaluate this option.

Here's my 8V setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts