Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, just a random question that i was thinking about today. Yall really fab some sweet stuff, build sweet stuff, and wheel sweet stuff, do a lot of work and lot of complicated work...Most of yall are out of college, some married...some not...most of you all have jobs, some still in college...some starting college. YALL GET A LOT DONE ON YOUR SCOUTS AND HAVE AN OUTSIDE LIFE!!!!! how do you guys do it?

Im only in college, and it's hard to work on my scout...even if it was 5 minutes away (it's 2hrs away right now). My main focus is school and should be...but i know that the ones of you that are married, your marriage comes first. And i know that making a living comes first. But like Torc, Harkinoff, Old Scout, Scout dude, Hayraker, Slipscomb, and maaaaaaaany others of yall get a sh*t load of work done and have a LIFE too.

How do you manage your time with your wife/girlfriend/school/work whatever your priorities are...how do you also get a bunch of really good work done on your scouts with that managed time???

How does it conflict with work/wife/school/girlfriend??

Do you just do it during the weekends, and when you do it on the weekends is that all you do (work on your scout)???

Do any of yall work on your scouts during the week?

I guess, when you set out a certain time just for your hobby or your scout...you just discipline yourself to not procrastinate???

well i know it's not much tech, but i was wondering how yall do it

:cool:

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
you get a girl who understands wrench-time.

Even better, find one who will help.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
My woman wheels and has her own rig.

Here she is on Fordyce trail during Sierra Trek. She has even rolled it over backwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My wife is very cool with pretty much whatever I am doing. She doesn't mind me working in the shop because that means I am home. The first few years we were married my only hobby was work, 7 days a week, so she likes the fact that I am just right outside in the shop now.

That said, I am basically a lazy bastard, I am also very busy with my day job, grad classes 2 nights a week that are an hour away, temporary part time jobs, etc. so I don't do much work on my scout until about a week before my next wheeling trip usually end up pulling a couple all nighters getting everything repaired.

As far as major projects, my buddy skeetshooter and I usually partner up on those, helping each other out. He helped me on both builds of my scout and I have helped him on a couple rebuilds of his rig. In fact we are both using a week of vacation time in March to swap drivetrains and suspension on his Zuk buggy.(60 front, 70 rear, 4.3L, auto, empty bud light cans, dual T-case, coils,etc.)

Don't worry about the time it is taking you, just peck along, getting things finished as you can. Finish the major stuff and go wheeling, finish all the little shit later, hell I still don't have a bed in the back of mine, (or rear shocks) but I had to take a break from working on it and wheel it for a little while.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
***I get jack squat done so I shouldn't respond but... :flipoff2:***

My wife enjoys wheeling and wrenching so not a problem - But even better she is a super workaholic so when she is off busy working I can stay home and play in the garage.

Also I have found that the busier you get the easier it is to get more done... I am currently a student for the second time around and I feel like I have more free time than ever before - even being married and doing all sorts of other stuff. If that makes any sense.

Also - give up TV and sitting on the couch!!! Waste your time in the garage or spending quality time with the ol' lady - and not just watching TV while she is in the same room! Do stuff when you have the time and then when you need to 'make' time for other stuff it's usually no big deal.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The only reason I get anything done is because I'm married. I come home from work, change clothes, see the wife....then run like hell for the garage and don't come back till she is in bed, works perfect.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
It's all about balance. Right now family and work have tippped the scales. And my wife know's that a week before a trip I'll tip the scales to the Scout and get it ready.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I include my family in my hobby. Some trips are with the boys, others are family trips. It also helps that many of my buds have families. We'll head to one guys house for a day of wrenching, then the gals bring the kids and we BBQ. It's good to live in CA. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
I actually don't get nearly as much work on my Socut done as I wish (or all the other projects I have started/waiting/almost done......)

Like other said, ballance. I got no shop of my own, and now garage. SO on these short "winter" days, very little work cause its dark at 3!! atleast the day are getting longer again (dark at 5:30/6:00 now.. MOr eoutside work now.

For major projects, I got to take the Scout to work and mess up the warehouse for the weekend, also means blowing the weekend on the Scout... which my wife understands... sometimes.

Simple stuff gets done at home, when I have the time/energy... or am not doing one of the other million projects. Wie likes me around as well, but understands I need "truck" or "outdoor" time, as long as its ballanced with "house" time or "Jenni" time...

You need to make the time, and do what you can when you can. You also have to live with the fact that maybe you can't do the SOA right now, or build the 60's.... so you wheel what you got, and wrench when you can... you gave your whole life ahead of you....

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like balance, and working on the main things on your rig is the way to do it...

A bonus, when and if some girl ends up wanting to marry me:D , a girl that is into wheelin!!! Make it a little easier on things...but i don't think i would make that a requirement, it would just be a bonus.

Well it sounds like yall all have a way of getting things done, it's hard to get things done for me especially when my scout is not with me...AND!! When i am near the scout, im lazy with projects....I JUST NEED TO GET OFF MY BUTT AND DO IT!

well it's cool hearing all of your "methods" on how and what kind of balance you need to get things done.

happy wrenchin and wheelin

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Timing.... for me it was all about the timing. It took me me several years after school to get a good paying job and get the salary up there a bit. Then I could start accumulating tools. I wouldn't have even considered doing this project 5 years ago because I didn't have anything close to the right tools needed to pull it off. Then with a failing live-in relationship falling apart, I bought the Scout. Then I could go work on the Scout instead of listening to her bitch and if she came out into the garage bitchin' I could just fire up the grinder or air chisel. :flipoff2: Spending that much time working on the Scout made it that much easier to finally kick her to the curb which freed up even more time to work on the Scout. :flipoff2: For about a year, it was just me and the dog so all I had to balance was time to go the work and a little time to walk the dog. Granted this approach is not for everyone and definately not recommended....... unless you can't stand your GF and are looking for a way to help get rid of her...:D

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
I used the Scout to rid me on a long term GF that wouldn't take the subtle and not so subtle hints. Now that I am married priorities (READ: MONEY) have changed. I'm lining up a garage to be built sometime soon and then things will be back as they should be....me wrenching on the Scout instead of playing with the wench. :D

She "likes" to wheel. She understands and accepts its a big part of my life. Being a newlywed changes everything too. Every year it will get cooler as the pay increases and life settles. YOu just have to make it a priority...just like everything else and its time will come.....or it will fall by the wayside unless you keep wheeling important to you.

Just like everything else...you have to try and plan it out as best you can and make adjustments along the way to correct your course.

However.....when I was single money and life revolved around the Scout. :shaking:

·
Registered
556 Posts
i dicked around with an IFS truck for years, but when my buddy Matt (owner Independent4x.com, stupidtrooper on the PBB) moved to richmond, 2 blocks away, it made for some great new resources...i guess what im saying is its important to surround yourself with people that have similar interests.

im a full time student, work 25ish hours/week at the Home Depot, play in two bands, and spend a lot of time with the bottle...i dont have a shop to work in (w/in 45 mins. away)...and i've managed to do a SAO, full cage, and doing lockers next week (all since august)...of course i had matt helping or it wouldn't have come together...his wife even spotted the truck on the side of the road for sale!

i will admit that my grades slipped last semester when i was up to my eyebrows in getting parts and doing the soa...but i bounced back

as for the ladies...most VA girls love camping, fishing etc...so i tell them we'er going camping, and next thing they know, i'm telling them to strap on the 5-point!...its good times, but really there are lots of girls who like this shit...and i like girls, so it works out:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Finding a woman who doesn't mind you working on your scout is not the problem. It's just like finding a woman who enjoys traveling, going to clubs, dry camping or whatever your interests are. If you're hooked up with a woman who does not share your interests - you're screwed. BTW, you will generally not find them in Nordstroms.

The hard part is finding time when there is no time, which seems to be your problem. I try to get up 1 hour earlier every morning so I can work on the scout. Even just taking measurements, making notes and doing little 1/2 hour jobs create motivation to do it again the following day. You would be surprised what you can do in just 30-60 minutes. Then when you do have a 1/2 day or full weekend do the big stuff. Going to bed late is also an option. I've spent many a weeknights till 2am in the garage.

It also helps to make a list of everything that needs to be done. That way, when you're dragging your ass out of bed, it's easier to prioritize your morning.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Bad thing is when i was away for school in Wyoming i acuttly got more done to the scout it was 3 hours away and during the week i would plan on what needed to be done that weekend, and on the weekends when i would come home i made sure to get that done and not procrastanate. Know since its here with me all the time, its hard to work on it, i procrastinate untill a few weeks befroe the next big trip. Its probely becouse all i do any more is the body paint work on other trucks and when it comes to mine its like, i will get to it tomarrow and then tomarrow becomes the next day and the next.

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
ROFL

Scoutillac said:
The only reason I get anything done is because I'm married. I come home from work, change clothes, see the wife....then run like hell for the garage and don't come back till she is in bed, works perfect.:flipoff2:
Sure... except for the hours you spend building stuff for The Enforcer.....

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
How do you eat a whale?

Small bites.

Tuesday night, for example.

Got home from work
Took 7 year old to Taekwondo for an hour and a half.
Got home and ate dinner
Played UNO attack for half an hour
Took the older boys out in the garage with me so they could *help*. I let the younger one hold the wrench, and the older got to turn the key in the ignition while I worked on fuel problems for my white pickup. Spent about half an hour working on it.
Back inside for another game of UNO
Put the kids to bed.
Did dishes
Wrenched for an hour
Back inside for wifey time till we crashed...

But, I work 5 minutes from home, so I don't waste any time commuting. And, I have a garage, so, although it is a tight fit for the pickup, I can get it in there where it is warm and well lit. And, as long as I *balance* (balance does not mean equal amounts BTW, it means a little bit of wrenching and lots of everything else) the time, and spend some time helping keep the house clean with 3 young boys destroying it, and make sure my Honey Do list is under control, my wife usually does not get upset.. usually.

The problems occur when, like a couple weekends ago, I went over to Rusty's so he could help me setup my front diff. Told the wife it would take a couple hours, and got home about 6 hours later.

Or, went wheeling, and told her I would be home about 4, and got home at 8.... Ouch. I was in the doghouse for a week.

It is going to be even more difficult this summer, because I will have to spend so much time campaigning...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
RustoleumWhite said:
You also have to live with the fact that maybe you can't do the SOA right now, or build the 60's.... so you wheel what you got, and wrench when you can....
This is true, I wheeled on 33" tires and stock axles for almost a year while my 60's were sitting out in the pasture. It was tough to see them sitting there everyday but not have the funds to start using them. When I did get the money to build them and swap them in, and buy tires, etc., I still ran out of money before I was finished with everything. I just got it to the point I could wheel it and stopped. Wheeled it a few times found some weak spots and now I'm out of commission again, but I'll be back...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts