Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Baconologyst
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the laws/regs on firearms (hand guns) while camping in Oregon?

I searched, but couldn't find anything as clear as California's laws on guns and camping. I found this a bit odd :homer:

I do not have a CCW, I will not be hunting or fishing (maybe some fishing). Is my camp considered a "temporary residence" like it would be here?

Please enlighten me (links would be greatly appreciated)

:Flame suit on:

·
Registered
8,807 Posts
Oregon itself is pretty lax, the cities around Portland are where you might get in trouble for driving with it in your car. You'll be fine pretty much everywhere though, unless its hunting season and you are actively "hunting" without a license.

·
Baconologyst
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oregon itself is pretty lax, the cities around Portland are where you might get in trouble for driving with it in your car. You'll be fine pretty much everywhere though, unless its hunting season and you are actively "hunting" without a license.
I will not be doing any hunting, only camping (with a slight chance of fishing). I am mainly wondering about in camp.

If I'm not 100% sure of the laws, I'll bring a big pointy stick :homer:

Off to do more reading...

·
Registered
8,807 Posts
Just an FYI, not anything definite, and I don't know where you're going, but I was camping in TSF at Jones Creek recently and we had quite a few firearms with us (and I was open carrying a revolver on my hip) and a forest ranger came up while we were shooting and we had zero issues. She didn't ask to check our firearms or anything. Just checking to make sure we were all good to go. (ie: Sober)

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
If you do any shooting, please pick up your debris.
x 10,000

if its 22 don't care. but every thing else bring a rake.

When I lived there is was not a big deal, but that was 30 years ago before everyone got all mess up meth.

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
FYI, a Ca resident is allowed to get a Or CCW permit. A number of Sheriffs there encourage it, and one has even driven down Ca a couple of times with his Livescan fingerprint machine. Kind of off topic, but if you visit there often it might be worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
FYI, a Ca resident is allowed to get a Or CCW permit. A number of Sheriffs there encourage it, and one has even driven down Ca a couple of times with his Livescan fingerprint machine. Kind of off topic, but if you visit there often it might be worthwhile.
Same for WA. I know one of the border Sheriffs will mail it to you to save you a return trip. (I guess normally you have to pick them up in person?).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Oregon is a open carry state, outside a few communist cities on the wetside. As long as your not CC, you should be fine.

·
Baconologyst
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you do any shooting, please pick up your debris.
I practice "Leave no trace" wherever I go ;)

I need to look into this ^^^

My wife's folks spend their summer in Oregon, we'll start visiting them more often now that our kids are older.

Thanks for the info!! :beer:

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
Sheriff Palmer is the one that was actively processing Californians.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Oregon is a open carry state, outside a few communist cities on the wetside. As long as your not CC, you should be fine.
That is the way it was long ago, would be cool if its still that way.

We can open carry if the gun is unloaded and made of plastic and color coded in the approved color. i.e. water pistol

·
Registered
470 Posts
To quote some random internet person "this is America, not California"

I live in Rural Oregon and have a gun with me 99% of the time. I have a CCW, but many of the farmers around here don't and I will make a guess at 78.6% of vehicles in my county have a rifle in the front seat. No big deal, just stay safe and be respectful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts