Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 523 Posts

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we bought a bone stock junkyard Jeep on Feb 1, could we have it ready for KOH before the green flag drops? In a form that will finish the event?? In the upper half of the competition group??? Oh, and I forgot to say that we have a budget of less than $7K to do this with...

I must be smoking crack but I had this idea just yesterday and I'm trying to decide if it's a smart one or not.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
If we bought a bone stock junkyard Jeep on Feb 1, could we have it ready for KOH before the green flag drops? In a form that will finish the event?? In the upper half of the competition group??? Oh, and I forgot to say that we have a budget of less than $7K to do this with...

I must be smoking crack but I had this idea just yesterday and I'm trying to decide if it's a smart one or not.
Why don't you find someone that will take your money and rent you their rig for the race? Not even you can do 7000 dollars worth of damage to a rig in one race, right? :p

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Bec is driving...

Oh, and bolt on parts :dustin:
I'd be inclined to say you couldn't do it just to watch you pull out all your marketing skills and have everyone step up with free parts.

That or this is a pretty clever set-up. ;)

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,800 Posts
If my POS TJ wasn't going to be used as a chase truck, I would put her up. Have a great time!

With her combination of RE and PolyPerformance parts I doubt she would fail Becca (hell I'd bet on her!)

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
I got a front 60 I could sell ya....

But in all seriousness I think it could be done. Why not borrow the axles from the comp rig just for this event?

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, now there's another hitch...we'll have only about 8 days in the shop during that time..my calendar won't permit much more...we're talking basics.

A list of what we need to do to have the basics for a stocker:

Find a wrecked Jeep LJ. I'd want the longer wheelbase for stability.

Leave the engine/tranny alone...maybe clean the air filter and change the oil, but that's it. 4.0 liters are strong...not quick, but strong.

Suspension...why not a bolt-on kit? I'm sure I can get one sponsored.

Winch...because I'm not RJ...I refuse to go out and plug a trail. I have one that we bolt to the nose of the RockHer II...I can borrow that one.

Axles...pretty much gotta be Dana 60's. If I'm doing bolt-on stuff, they'll need TJ brackets/buckets...axles may be the toughest part in a hurry. I already have a spare ARB and Detroit so Detroit up front and ARB in back. I have 5:13 gears, which would be about right.

T-Case...I'd love an Atlas, but that might break the budget. I guess she wouldn't need true front burn with the ARB/cutting brakes in the back, plus, backups are no biggie in racing. But really, I'd want 4.2 or so gear ratio in the t-case...

Brakes...I won't let Bec go out without STRONG brakes so I'll swap to the twin CNC/Wilwood masters and a set of cutting brakes for the rear axle. Those will be a gauranteed expense but I won't skimp on brakes. Brake plumbing from Russell, as always.

Obviously, Wheels and Tires from Pro Comp. For a Jeep, especially a quick-build, 37", possibly sticky X Terrains or the DOT compound Extreme Muds. CORR beadlocks, just like the ones we currently use. The difficulty is I'd need 5 on 5.5 lug pattern on the axle, because that's the pattern we can get on short notice.

Driveshafts from JE Reel. Jim will hook me up on those.

RollCage...well, those aren't too difficult.

Seats...I don't know that I'd want her in stock seats, we need to strip the interior to do the cage anyway for safety, so I'd prolly throw in the set of 3G's I already have. I'd need to pick up belts and window nets for safety.

Battery...a decent one because you don't know what coming outta the junkyard. I can steal the Pro Comp spiral cell I have from the race trailer...that's a freebie. I'd need a way to tie it down safely...

Fuel cell. I guess we'd have to rip out the stock tank for clearance anyway. Pick up a cell like the one I got from PolyPerformance for the old CJ. How many gallons of fuel for a stock 4.0 and that kind of distance???

Fuel Pump...the stockers are in-tank? Either an E2000 or the same ones we run in our other rigs that we got from Edelbrock. NEVER an issue with those.

Besides fire extinguishers, first aid kit, and the basics...what else???

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No joke, I really just thought of this yesterday. I called Dallas and he said we could do it...with a question in his voice...he thought it would be cool to do...but why not just cut the RockHer I up and put coilovers on it?

U'mmmmm, because?

Actually, I don't think I can fit coilovers on the RockHer I because of the front end. That dang shortstar being where it is, and the not-so-wide front axle makes it so the air shocks hit the frame one way and the tires the other...there's NO ROOM.

And, because our race plans totally changed when the rig Bec was going to drive fell through as the owner won't be getting his new rig in time. He still told Bec she was driving because he's way too nice of a guy...she refused because he really needs to take part!

So, here we are. I am literally making this up as I go along.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I don't think you can pull it off.

Now go prove me wrong!!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
It would be balls to the wall for sure :mr-t:. You'd need to get as many hands on it as possible. I'm sure you'd get many volunteers from here. It would be great to see a low budget / relatively stock vehicle participate. Have you asked yourself what would happen if you were not able to have the vehicle ready in time? If you are ok with that, then I say go for it. Either that or use the 7K to rent a hellicopter and provide aerial video coverage for us saps at home:p

1 - 20 of 523 Posts