Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not much of an internet guy but hell, this Corona bullshit has me making a lot of progress on the Scout and I figure I may as well start a build thread.

A little background. My grandpa bought a scout new back in 1964, (we still own it). My dad traded a 1968 Camaro after high school in the late 70s for a Scout and as it goes with Scout owners, he owned a couple. I was given his scout when I was in high school (about 1998) as my first vehicle, it’s been in my blood ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My last Scout prior to this one was a makeshift crawler that I never gave the love and care it deserved

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fast forward to 2019. I get a call from a buddy that says his friend has a neighbor with a Scout in the backyard, I head on over, knock on the door and ask if he wants to sell it. $750 later I have a complete 1976 345 T-19 SOA Scout.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it running roadkill style in about an hour but holy shit it’s fawking PURPLE! All four tires are flat and trashed, it needs all the things a scout that’s been sitting in a back yard for 10 years needs so I get after it. Paint via a China freight electric spray gun and some exterior paint, tires and wheels, and an entirely new fuel system.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deployed for 6 months...

When I got back I completely rewired it and started working the details, fluids, bearings, seals, little stuff.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the hydro boost which is GREAT, have never had this good of brakes in a Scout. Full rewire, welded the rear, shock towers for the front, went through everything and replaced the rusted out rocker panels with square tube etc etc

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That pretty much brings us to today. I recently bought a 2000 chevy 2500 work truck with an LQ4 and NV4500 for the motor, trans and 14 bolt rear end

Stripped it for parts and to make some $$$ back, took the frame and cab to the crusher

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tore the motor down today and ordered a cam, springs and gasket kit for the motor. Ordered the rear 4x4 housing and mainshaft for the NV4500.. Thanks China for giving me all these days to wrench!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This obviously is going to be the best scout I’ve ever owned but ultimately it’s for my lil monsters. They love how it stinks and to cruise around the neighborhood in it while driving and shifting from my lap. I’m just trying to show them how they can get out of the house and build something with their own two hands

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
AWESOME MAN!!!!

Ultimately mine will end up in my boys hands too. Keep up the work!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dana 300 ordered and on the way, 4x4 mainshaft ordered for the NV, getting closer every day! Motor will be reassembled tomorrow

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love it!

Plans for fixing that drag link?

Drag link will be fixed soon via tons. Took the 14 bolt outta the donor rig and will be finding a front axle soon.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice build, scout looks great without the purple paint.

A true scout/IH guy here, using what ya got. No need to waste hours in the sun for a tan, just weld without a shirt!!

Yea that purple paint was killing me!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts