Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the big difference between the coil over’s and air shocks.

I noticed the price is one, but what are the advantages? Reading about the KOH guys that ran air shocks some of them were pleased and others weren’t. I am just curious on the advantages and disadvantages. It seems that because of the Dakota, I am well hated on here ...hahahaha... but all of that nonsense aside, this is a serious question.

:D

·
Registered
937 Posts
one has springs, one has a nitrogen bubble and oil.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Less unsprung weight is one advantage for the air shocks.

Coilovers still have the spring if the shock fails, nice for the street, keeps your tires out of the fenders. IDK if they've had any probs with that, but it's one less thing to worry about as far as I'm concerned

Both are somewhat ride-height adjustable and both you're SOL if an attachment point fails

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Airshocks will fade and expand with high speed use. I don't think you need the extra height... :D

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
one has springs, one has a nitrogen bubble and oil.
Both have springs (usually), and all have a nitrogen charge and oil.:flipoff2:

They both have their places, and on or near the podium at KOH is where you will find coil over shocks. At We-Rock events is where you will find most air shocks.

Rick.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Good question, I'm sure the springs would fall under the same category. I remember from my R/C days that shocks are neither sprung or unsprung weight. That was a long time ago, I forget the actual term (my brain is fried I can't remember last week). I'm sure one of the brainiacs here will chime in. Or maybe I'm just talking out my ass, who knows.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Im sure the extra 10lbs is killing people.

Other reason for nitrogen is to keep mostiure out of the inside of the shock.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
On a little anorexic rock buggy air shocks are a good fit. Light weight and fit in tight spaces better. The shocks are cheaper, but don't forget to factor in the $400 n2 setup you must have. Some also say you can get away without air bumps if you're into going fast.

I run coilovers and air bumps... cause my buggy is far from anorexic :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts