Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
What? A non-JK-buggy-build? Fuck me, you do understand this LS-engine-and-cruiser-hood-4x4.com right? Why would you even think you could build something original and post it here? No 40" MTR's? Come on dude...You need to get yourself a small black beenie, grow a scraggle goatee, get some coors light for your beer coozie and park right in the middle of the trail to watch the other 100 fuck-knuckles from your local "jeeper" club flex their shit out. :homer:Carry on.
:laughing:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What? A non-JK-buggy-build? Fuck me, you do understand this LS-engine-and-cruiser-hood-4x4.com right? Why would you even think you could build something original and post it here? No 40" MTR's? Come on dude...You need to get yourself a small black beenie, grow a scraggle goatee, get some coors light for your beer coozie and park right in the middle of the trail to watch the other 100 fuck-knuckles from your local "jeeper" club flex their shit out. :homer:Carry on.

best thing ive read in a long time. kudos.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I think my truggy fits in this category. I wanted to have space for cargo and closed cab for the cold wheelin. I got about 4.5 feet of flat space out back. This was my dream for 8 years before I actually went through and made it.
I dig the hell out of your rig. Good job.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Would like to know a little bit more about this Jeep. Stumbled across a complete CJ8 rolling chassis and I'm thinking about plopping my CJ5 on top of it. Has nothing to do with the tube chassis pickup project, just want to going to throw something together to drive for a while in the meantime. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Thanks. Found it. Been reading all night. Think I'm gonna throw something together.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Thanks read through that whole build thread and the other one about Jeeps with truck beds. Have an extra M101A3 bed that I think I might chop-up.

·
Rock Stacker
1,497 Posts
The obvious response would be, why not? But to answer your question honestly, I've spent the last 15yrs of my life immersed in motorsports and was probably 24-25yrs old before I even stopped to think about how and why I found myself ass-deep in the middle of all this shit. Realized that it was all kind of kind of an accident. Wouldn't say it was a mistake, but not exactly a conscious decision either. Got into motorsports and off-road vehicles when I was a teenager because that's what teenage American boys do and... here we are. But don't really want to spend my time designing and building four-wheeled vehicles as recreational toys anymore. Have never been into competitive motorsports and I've found that the more extreme these vehicles get, the less useful they are (to me). Would rather spend my time creating things that add value to my life. So all these vehicles should relate to, and support, the type of life I want to be living. The Tacoma was built to serve as a dedicated moto-hauler and camping rig, the motorhome is going to afford me a tremendous amount of freedom, and this truck ought to make a great travelling companion for the motorhome. It will be small, simple, lightweight, reasonably capable, and built to take a beating. Should to get fantastic gas mileage and can share fuel with the motorhome (which has a very well-engineered fuel processing system onboard). Can't buy a truck like that, so I'm going to build one.
Good self reflection. It makes you look more intelligent than you probably are. :beer:

Anyways, good luck on your build. BTW I have info on air ride if you go that direction.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Awe thanks, I think, and cheers. But wasn't trying to make any kind of profound statement, just didn't know how else to answer that question.

Let's talk about any ideas or thoughts you have related to air suspension! That's one aspect of this project I have to figure out no matter how I tackle this project. Really like the way the auto-leveling and adjustable-height air suspension on my allroad. But am less than thrilled with the layers and layers of complicated nonsense that make it all possible. Appreciate anything you might be able to contribute on this subject.

·
Rock Stacker
1,497 Posts
Air Ride

I would stick with Slam Specialties bags in the 8" size. Pull the spec sheets on travel and load output per psi. It's a lot like air shocks and or coils.
Design for 100 psi working load.
My dual Viar 200PSI eventually died so I went to Thomas 150 PSI dual piston single permanent magnet motor. Oasis is also a good option as well. Air tank of 8 gal. Works well. Tried a one gal and it takes too long. Build reserve over time.
Upgraded alternator to keep up.
I used a limit strapped control arm to get enough travel. The bag runs out of travel but the suspension can fall away. It is possible to mount two bags if needed to get the PSI down. The bags have internal plastic stops that can take full load but do not give like bump stops.
If you run the bags on low pressure and ride height the air can compress and bottom out. It's like taking a sandwich bag full of air and pinching the middle till your fingers touch, the air balloons the outside edge but allows for compression in the middle. It is best to run the bag at 75% or more inflated at ride height so when you hit something the bag compresses like an air bump but does not bottom out, because the air pocket is large enough and at a high enough pressure it takes a lot more force to compress it.
The more air a bag has in it the more stable it is, at low pressure it is soft and at high pressure it is firm. High speed and firm or higher ride height works better, for when you hit something you didn't want to.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
I'm going to do an air bag suspension on my next project, but it will be in the rear only. This vehicle is going to see a decent amount of weight change on the rear suspension from stripped down trail rails to 2-week 2000 mile trips. I don't want to have to compromise on the rear suspension height because it is going to be built pretty dang low anyways. The load on the front suspension stays fairly consistent so I don't see a need to overcomplicate things, it will but be coilovers....

I only see the need for a simple manual valve control with some sort of gauge to read pressure. That will let me level the vehicle by load and have a reference point.

The added bonus of being able to level the vehicle at night for sleeping, lowering it to the bumpstops for loading or trying to sneak under something, raising it up to pull the belly off something, or preloading the suspension one way or the other are all just value added features.

·
Rock Stacker
1,497 Posts
It is possible to mount two different ratios of bags. One for load hauling and another for trail use. PSI does not always give a good measure of ride height. The semi cab level switches are a good method to control height or you can put limit switches with solenoid valves. I use manual directional control valves but they do leak down a little over time as they have spools that leak. My old solenoids didn't leak but they did freeze up and not work in cold temps. Manual gets ride of the electrical issues as well.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Started this thread about adjustable air suspension a while ago. Actually sent you a PM about it hydro, soliciting input. So thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
It is possible to mount two different ratios of bags. One for load hauling and another for trail use. PSI does not always give a good measure of ride height. The semi cab level switches are a good method to control height or you can put limit switches with solenoid valves. I use manual directional control valves but they do leak down a little over time as they have spools that leak. My old solenoids didn't leak but they did freeze up and not work in cold temps. Manual gets ride of the electrical issues as well.
The nice thing is that once you've installed the basic system, you can add whatever sensors and controls you want. Seems like all that stuff would be relatively easy to reconfigure.

Understand what you're saying about spring-rates and airbags. That's a problem with my Audi. When you lower the ride-height, the suspension gets 'softer' and when you raise it, it gets 'firmer', which is pretty much exactly the opposite of how it ought to work. It wallows around so much that if I want to go canyon-carving, I bump the suspension up a bit to make it handle better. Pretty much only use the lowest suspension settings for fuel economy on the freeway.

Ideally, we'd be able to adjust pressure and volume, which is common with air shocks on mountain bikes. Air shocks would also be a lot easier to package, be more durable, and can incorporate damping too. There just doesn't seem to be anything currently available that is load-compensating and configured to give us adjustable ride-height. Have been meaning to call ORI...

81 - 100 of 115 Posts