Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Do you guys have a geared T case?
Yes. A single 4.7

If I had the space I'd prefer a doubler with two 2.28. Sometimes I'd like to be between 4.7:1 and 1:1.

An ultimate (2.28+4.7) is completely unnecessary with the auto.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes. A single 4.7

If I had the space I'd prefer a doubler with two 2.28. Sometimes I'd like to be between 4.7:1 and 1:1.

An ultimate (2.28+4.7) is completely unnecessary with the auto.
I agree. I'm on 40" Treps with 4.88 gears. It would be nice to have a little closer ratio between 1st and 2nd. Going to 5.13 gears won't do much good, and drops the pinion to a 7 tooth which may be a little too weak for the Treps. I rock crawl down south, so there's an occasional bounce or two.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I agree. I'm on 40" Treps with 4.88 gears. It would be nice to have a little closer ratio between 1st and 2nd. Going to 5.13 gears won't do much good, and drops the pinion to a 7 tooth which may be a little too weak for the Treps. I rock crawl down south, so there's an occasional bounce or two.
7 teeth on the pinion doesn't mean shit when only 3 of them mesh at any given time. Don't be afraid to regear. I'd rather have 2 stock cases.

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
................. It would be nice to have a little closer ratio between 1st and 2nd.....
There is just a big jump in the gear ratio from 1st to 2nd, wound out in 1st bogging in 2nd. I agree on running 5.29's but there will still be a big jump. I try running 2nd and 3rd if I need a lot of up/down back and forth shifts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Agreed just took mine out on its maiden voyage at MCR Rubicon. A340f, Doublers w/4.7 in the rear and 5.29s never really needed the crawl box but can see where it would come in handy at more extreme obstacles like moon rocks or winch hill 3.. nice option to have but not needed especially with the torque of the v8/v6. I guess it also depends on if you're a throttle jockey too

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Agreed just took mine out on its maiden voyage at MCR Rubicon. A340f, Doublers w/4.7 in the rear and 5.29s never really needed the crawl box but can see where it would come in handy at more extreme obstacles like moon rocks or winch hill 3.. nice option to have but not needed especially with the torque of the v8/v6. I guess it also depends on if you're a throttle jockey too
I just added a turbo to my 22RE, and my first ride on it will be next weekend. Running low boost (4psi) and hoping it gives just a little more torque than I had. I'm no rock bouncer, but our trails can get you bound up. Hopefully the turbo will let me "bump it" with a little more lowend TQ without having to neutral drop it. We'll see!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just added a turbo to my 22RE, and my first ride on it will be next weekend. Running low boost (4psi) and hoping it gives just a little more torque than I had. I'm no rock bouncer, but our trails can get you bound up. Hopefully the turbo will let me "bump it" with a little more lowend TQ without having to neutral drop it. We'll see!
I think it also depends on the overall weight of your rig.. I'm really light so the power to weight ratio plays a big factor as well IMO

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice bit of info. I have a 5 speed sitting in the basement but am now considering an auto.
I was planning to throw a 5 speed behind my 3.4 but ended using the auto that was there, I read a lot on here and found many people like the setup. So far I am really enjoying the auto. Only thing I do miss is high RPM clutch drops. I dont feel the auto is as responsive as I want it to be. Maybe a shift kit would help with this.

I run a 2.28 front and 4.7 rear with 5.29's on 39.5's. Other than its kinda fun/cool to crawl at such a low ratio I dont think it will ever be needed.

I do a lot of snow weelin and a big tranny cooler was definitely a must for this setup.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was planning to throw a 5 speed behind my 3.4 but ended using the auto that was there, I read a lot on here and found many people like the setup. So far I am really enjoying the auto. Only thing I do miss is high RPM clutch drops. I dont feel the auto is as responsive as I want it to be. Maybe a shift kit would help with this.

I run a 2.28 front and 4.7 rear with 5.29's on 39.5's. Other than its kinda fun/cool to crawl at such a low ratio I dont think it will ever be needed.

I do a lot of snow weelin and a big tranny cooler was definitely a must for this setup.
Couldn't agree more.. although I've only got one run on mine so far I really like it. You might try the transgo shift kit.. I put that in mine from the get go so I've no personal experience without but Rory at RADesigns highly recommended it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
is everyone using the Winters shifter with RADesigns adapter? I'm using the factory pistol shifter and some homemade electronics. I'm eyeing the RAD/Winters setup though.
I run the stock shifter for going between P,R,N,D. Then have the RADesign Rail 2 to select the gear. I like how small and compact it is.

Ill see if I can remember to grab a pic tonight. Due to my dual case setup my T-case sticks are back about 6" from stock, I built a plate to cover the original hole and incorporated the Rail 2 into the plate so it sits right next to the stock unit.

Rail Controller this is the controller I use. Seems to be a good quality unit.

·
Registered
154 Posts

is everyone using the Winters shifter with RADesigns adapter? I'm using the factory pistol shifter and some homemade electronics. I'm eyeing the RAD/Winters setup though.
I've got the Winters/Rad shifter w/the RAD triple sticks.. I've heard good things about his rail controller as well.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts