Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have looked at many sources but can not find any kind of required wiring for this trans. it is going in a buggy so minimal wiring is required. i am running propane so not much wiring on engine. any links would be appreciated or info please.

Jeff

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
good question
I'm curious how to swap one behind my 3.4L
it's electronically controlled, so I'm sure there is required wiring, any stand alone setup out there? difference between F & H? what is newer one?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
F has a mechanical t/c rather than the H hydraulic. For a standalone computer you may want to have a look for "suprastick" -I have not tried it... yet- although it will not work with the later trannies with electronic line pressure control. Some crowns also had separate engine and tranny ecus, more on this one lextreme if memory serves me right.
hth

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
F has a mechanical t/c rather than the H hydraulic. For a standalone computer you may want to have a look for "suprastick" -I have not tried it... yet- although it will not work with the later trannies with electronic line pressure control. Some crowns also had separate engine and tranny ecus, more on this one lextreme if memory serves me right.
hth
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55

http://www.latentsolutions.com/

cool, doing a little research now:grinpimp:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Check out www.AWshifting.com He has been making them for toyota trans for awhile too.

Josh
I have made a few panels for those running his stuff, but is his stand alone?

edit, it still uses factory computer, just give you option of manual control, or auto with factory computer, won't help meat all, I need stand alone

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gotcha! But the thing is that the transmision computer is stand alone anyway! Mine is a seperate computer just for the trans its own sep box. I have a H model and will soon be swaping in a AW4/300 combo.

Josh

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Gotcha! But the thing is that the transmision computer is stand alone anyway! Mine is a seperate computer just for the trans its own sep box. I have a H model and will soon be swaping in a AW4/300 combo.

Josh
i know there is a seperate computer, but isn't it tied into the main motor ecu too?
if not then an auto swap should be very easy and I would think well known by now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
From my understanding it is only uses line pressure and TPS reading... But I'm not positive, I will have to find a schematic and look at it for a bit!.

Back when i was swapping to a 5 speed there was no reference to changing computers or anything from 5 speed to an auto. The main reason it isn't well know is becuase nobody wants to deal with the POS transfercases and exspensive adaptors for the gear driven ones!

That is why i'm planning, not reality yet, on a AW4/300 or AW4/231/300 when i get back form Iraq.

here is some good reading.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587521&highlight=a340+transmissions

Josh

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
my 87 turbo runner has wires going to the ecu for the engine as well as the trany computer. Three I think will look tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
you can use a 2wd transmission and make an adapter for a T-case, I did a simular project but used the volvo version (same transmission) of this automatic. There is no electronics or computer required, only one wire to hook up and you dont even need that if you dont care to unarm the overdrive. It also does not use a vacuum, all shifting is controlled internally and by a kickdown cable that would still be in place when you convert to propane. Here is a pic of mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
you can use a 2wd transmission and make an adapter for a T-case, I did a simular project but used the volvo version (same transmission) of this automatic. There is no electronics or computer required, only one wire to hook up and you dont even need that if you dont care to unarm the overdrive. It also does not use a vacuum, all shifting is controlled internally and by a kickdown cable that would still be in place when you convert to propane. Here is a pic of mine:
I have a 3.4, will a 2wd behind a 3.0 or 3.4 be like that?

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
oops, didnt finish my sentence. -

I know both 4 cylinders use this 2wd transmission, it is different than the V6 one
ok that ismy understanding too

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info. i will no more research on this and see what else i can come up with. what other mods can be done to trans to make the stronger. And i do believe the bell housings are swappable on Toyota autos. i have not confirmed. called marlin and they said they throw the trans away and have no info on them.

thanks again:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts