Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The output housing seal seems to be leaking a bit, I was wondering if anyone else with this kit noticed anything. I installed it 2 nights ago and it leaked a little bit, figured it was some of the assembly lube on the seal, but after driving some today i noticed it was leaking some again. Dosn't appear to be much though.

I've got the motor lifted 2" with a stock crossmember. so the angle is kinda high. Thinking that might be a possiblity. I'll be adding a flat skid plate with in the next week or so.

Also the torque spec may not be right on for the rear yoke. But i figured that might not cause it.

Any ideas, anyone else noticed this. Its a TJ too.

·
Banned
631 Posts
I just put mine on. I have a leak too. However it is not from the piion seal. Mine is leaking from the rear tail cone?? I guess I did not put enough RTV on it?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Most often they are not leaking out the seal unless it is damaged due to it not being seated correctly and then run.
They leak right through the splines on the output shaft and through the yoke. The black sealing washer is supposed to prevent this but it is real easy to fawk it up during installation. You should remove the yoke and liberally coat it with RTV on the internal splines then reinstall it. This will stop the fluid from wicking along the splines.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You did lube the yoke where it passes through the seal, didn't you. If you put the yoke on dry, the friction can burn a seal before the t-case can fully lube up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did pre lube the seal, i think i used gear lube. And the seal on the yoke is fine as well, no leaks there.

It seems to be slowing down, dosn't leak at all driving around town, but some extended runs it tends to leak some. I'm just going to watch it for a couple days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts