Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a front hp AAM 9.25 axle and I was trying to see if it is possible to swap it with dana 44 u-joints. The axles need new unit bearings which have a hefty price tag as well as the bearing kits so i was trying to bypass it with d44 parts. Has anyone done this? Is there an alternate route? Anyone wanna trade 2 9.25s for another full width driver drop?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
AAM 9.25 is on par for a D60 in the size of most of its parts. It uses the 1485 U-joints which are nearly identical to the 1480 joints in a D60. Trying to swap in D44 parts makes no sense as they would be significantly smaller....and you would be into custom shafts to pull it off.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I just got a front hp AAM 9.25 axle and I was trying to see if it is possible to swap it with dana 44 u-joints. The axles need new unit bearings which have a hefty price tag as well as the bearing kits so i was trying to bypass it with d44 parts. Has anyone done this? Is there an alternate route? Anyone wanna trade 2 9.25s for another full width driver drop?
If honestly could not see the difference between the 1485 u joints and the dana 44 u joints your already in over your head.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AAM 9.25 is on par for a D60 in the size of most of its parts. It uses the 1485 U-joints which are nearly identical to the 1480 joints in a D60. Trying to swap in D44 parts makes no sense as they would be significantly smaller....and you would be into custom shafts to pull it off.
So d60 ujoints would need a little tweaking but is doable?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
So d60 ujoints would need a little tweaking but is doable?
Not sure what the point is of trying to use 1480 joints in shafts that require 1485's?
I don't think there is a big difference in costs between the two. There certainly isn't much difference around here.

But to answer your question, no, the 1480 joint does not quite fit properly in the AAM 9.25 shaft. The caps are a little different where the c-clip groove is located. The c-clips will not be able to be installed. But you could technically install a 1485 joint is a D60 shaft with the use of shims behind the clips but not the other way around.

Again, there is zero point in all of this as it achieves nothing. :confused:

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm trying to switch out all the outers to bypass the unit bearings
Yukon makes a kit for that, I think they call it their Spin Free kit. It replaces the unit bearing with a spindle, and then you assemble it just like a D60. It comes with spindles, hubs, bearings, stub shafts, lockouts, etc. We've done a number of these and they're pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If this is strictly an exercise in getting rid of the problematic unit bearings, then yes, there ae several companies now that make free spin hub kits that ditch the unit bearing and convert to a a traditional full floating set up with spindles and bearing hubs and manual lockouts. It is definitely the best way to go if you can justify the cost. The kits are not cheap. I have run a dynatrac kit on the front of my Dodge with the AAM 9.25 for several years now with no regrets.

But make no mistake, in the short term, it is a lot cheaper to just replace the unit bearings.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yukon makes a kit for that, I think they call it their Spin Free kit. It replaces the unit bearing with a spindle, and then you assemble it just like a D60. It comes with spindles, hubs, bearings, stub shafts, lockouts, etc. We've done a number of these and they're pretty cool.
Do you have a link to this Yukon kit? The diff wizard doesn't even recognize AAM.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I just installed Solid's Spyntec kit on my Dodge's AAM 9.25". As said above the AAM 9.25" and Dana 60 u-joints are slightly different...

...the bodies are the same, just the groove in the cap is different.
I ended up swapping two caps to make a sort of conversion joint to mate the AAM inner to the Dana 60 outer rather than use the supplied spacers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts