1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found this on
www.glocktalk.com

http://bradycampaign.org/media/release.php?release=933

Sacramento, CA – Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law cutting-edge legislation that will provide police with an important new tool in solving gun crimes and apprehending armed criminals and gang members. AB 1471 passed both the Assembly last spring and the State Senate last month.

“We applaud Gov. Schwarzenegger for taking a bold step to solve gun murders in California. This ground-breaking law gives police officers a powerful tool to apprehend armed criminals and gang members before they strike again,” said Brady Campaign President Paul Helmke. “The Governor has set a new national standard for the rest of the country to follow.”

The Crime Gun Identification Act will require that all new models of semi-automatic handguns sold in the State of California starting in 2010 be equipped with technology to allow police to match bullet casings found at a crime scene to the handgun that fired the bullets. This technology, known as "microstamping," consists of engraving microscopic characters representing the make, model and serial number of a handgun onto its firing pin and other internal surfaces. These characters transfer onto the bullet shell casing when the handgun is fired. In instances of drive-by shootings, where the only evidence at the crime scene may be a casing from a fired bullet, law enforcement will be able to quickly obtain a critical lead.

Assemblyman Mike Feuer (D-42), a former Los Angeles City Councilmember who recognizes that law enforcement needs more tools to combat gang violence, was the author of the bill. It was supported by the California Police Chiefs Association, the Orange County Chiefs’ and Sheriff’s Association, the Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC), and the Los Angeles Police Protective League, in addition to 65 police chiefs and sheriffs throughout the state.

Kay Holmen, the President of the California Brady Campaign Chapters, said, "Nearly half of all crimes go unsolved in our state. Microstamping technology will provide our police officers with solid leads for finding armed criminals before they do more harm. This new law will allow our police to trace the crime gun---without the gun.”

# # #

For continuing insight and comment on the gun issue, read Paul Helmke's blog at www.bradycampaign.org/blog, and visit the Brady Campaign website at www.bradycampaign.org.

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, working with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
It's a good thing crooks have never thought to take a file to anything with a serial number before this.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how many crooks buy over the counter anyways:shaking: it's just making it harder for the law abiding folk to own a weapon :shaking: I wonder how long till other states adopt this crap:mad3:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Alternately, California will just simply be abandoned by the gun industry... hopefully, the gun makers of the world have the stones to follow Barrett's lead.

Guess that'd make California happy too, to become a "gun free zone", but I suspect it'll do more for the used-gun market elsewhere, than whatever it could theoretically do for investigation efforts in California.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
wtf.... do these guys think this is the Judge Dred? the only way I see this being done is to have tooling on the inside of the chamber so when the cartride expands, its pressed into the casing. only problem... how the fawk would a semi auto cycle? Hell.... hwo would you cycle a bolt action?

Morons. Thank god i keep the family I have left in Cali supplied with decent firearms! (by decent, i mean firearms that meet all AWB rules and regs.... but of course ;) )

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
My condolences to my fellow gun owners behind enemy lines. I see revolver sales increasing in the future in Crapifornia.

I would also suggest doing a thorough job of policing your brass when you go to the range. Some asshole might decide to collect yours and sprinkle it around a crime scene some day.

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
this does nothing for the guns already in posession by riminals, not the lawfully owned weapons that get stolen. It really is just feel good junk science. How hard it is to change out a firing pin, or swap out a barrel? You can shoot someone today, change your firing pin and barrel, an, forensically, have a new weapon that cannot be matched to the crime weapon.

Californians are retarded. Both the legislators, and the sheep that elect them. I know that there are some out there with common sense, but they are apparently outnumbered a bazillion to one.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, working with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

What a bunch of baloney, they think we would be safe without them, they should all move to the UK and getted mugged n' raped, that is the only way they would realize they have been wrong all along.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
So what does this do to case strength for reloaders? Also imagine the confusion if you sold your fired brass to a reloader who then used it in a crime... THIS BULLET WAS FIRED TWICE IN THIS CRIME! LOL

·
Registered
649 Posts
So what does this do to case strength for reloaders? Also imagine the confusion if you sold your fired brass to a reloader who then used it in a crime... THIS BULLET WAS FIRED TWICE IN THIS CRIME! LOL
wow, the imprint would be put on the firing pin, the firing pin contacts the primer, and the primer is replaced when you reload

this will be real easy to defeat though firearms arent regulated and easy to replace, maryland has had the gun case law where the state police keep a she casing of new handguns sold for the firing pin imprint is has been in place for 5 or 6 years and hasn't solved one crime that should say something there this is just another waste of money

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
wow, the imprint would be put on the firing pin, the firing pin contacts the primer, and the primer is replaced when you reload

this will be real easy to defeat though firearms arent regulated and easy to replace, maryland has had the gun case law where the state police keep a she casing of new handguns sold for the firing pin imprint is has been in place for 5 or 6 years and hasn't solved one crime that should say something there this is just another waste of money
maybe you missed the "other internal surfaces" part. You can micro-engrave the inside of a chamber and it would have no effect on firearm safety or operation.

Holy fuck does this law scare the shit out of me :eek: the begining of the end that I do not want

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
When was the last time a gun used in a drive by was purchased by the driver by er ? in a legal and mandated manner? Can you say railroad for someone who has a gun stolen?

Foolish. I'd love to see the gun makers AND ammo manufacturers refuse to sell in Cali. Including sales for law enforcement and military. Maybe that would get their attention.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
When was the last time a gun used in a drive by was purchased by the driver by er ? in a legal and mandated manner? Can you say railroad for someone who has a gun stolen?
Perfect opportunity for CA to screw gun owners.

Foolish. I'd love to see the gun makers AND ammo manufacturers refuse to sell in Cali. Including sales for law enforcement and military. Maybe that would get their attention.
If every gun company followed Ron Barrett's lead, CA would crumble through ineffective law enforcement.

·
Registered
649 Posts
maybe you missed the "other internal surfaces" part. You can micro-engrave the inside of a chamber and it would have no effect on firearm safety or operation.

Holy fuck does this law scare the shit out of me :eek: the begining of the end that I do not want
Everything I have read on this says the transfer will only be made by the firing pin. I read the article but have not seen any where, how the stamp will be transfered to anything but the primer of the casing.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
I now will not vote for this smuck again. 1st the .50 BMG and now this. F*ck this guy. I now know no matter what my views are not going to be looked after. :mad:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Californians are retarded. Both the legislators, and the sheep that elect them. I know that there are some out there with common sense, but they are apparently outnumbered a bazillion to one.
Nope, your wrong here, its the sheep that dont vote that allow this crap to happen,,,and Im a Californian

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Just sent my angry letter. Since I'm in the Military I'm now going to look into moving where I vote. Just so I don't have to give these goons my TAX money. F*ckers:mad:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts