Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drove the ford, drove the duramax.

i went into the day thinking i was going to buy a 6.0 ford, thought for shits and giggles i would try out the chevy. i actually like the chevy alot more. don't get me wrong, the ford diesel was stronger, but it had this crappy truck attached to it. i'm getting a fully loaded, leather, crew cab, and the chevy was just way higher build quality. IMHO.

anyways, i need a good forum to go look at duramax junk. plus, does anybody know if you have to get the long bed in the chevy duramax to get the larger fuel tank?

no ford versus chevy crap unless your actually willing to throw 40+ thousand down on a new truck. and, your only qualified to talk trash if you've driven both new 2003 trucks, which i did, and came to my conclusion.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
My buddy has a short bed and I think I remember him saying that the long beds had the bigger gas tank. He has a 2002 if it matters

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Todd listed the good links... as for ford vs. Chevy.. Mine was Dodge vs. Chevy, but I drove all 3.

When it comes time, I'll be driving a GMC CC/LB d-max. Gonna put a better fuel filter on it, juice it, and run it.

Yeah, you need the long bed for the bigger fuel tank.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Long bed == larger fuel tank 34 gallon
Short bed == smaller fuel tank 26 gallon.

Did a double take on filling my CrewCab... $40.01
OUCH!

For me the extra room in the Chevy was one of the big reasons. I'm not a big Chevy vs. Ford person. Owned and driven both, just liked the LS trim 2500HD CC.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i ordered a crew cab, short box, lt, duramax, auto, blah blah blah. now i just have to figure out where to buy hot juice, and what the hell it is, and i'm set. i will put some miles on it before i bother breaking it, but i'm curious, is hot juice or just juice just a programmer, or a full kit starting from the airbox back? do they just up the boost on the turbo and change the fuel mapping?

anyways, i think i'll be happy with the truck stock though.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
You can buy the Juice at Edge Products. They make great products for diesel motors.

www.edgeproductsinc.com

Ask for Aaron and tell him I said hello.

Also, you can check the forums at their web site if you want to find out about the Juice or other products.

disclaimer: not affliated with any vendor and bought all my stuff.

Charles

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
roundrocktom said:
For me the extra room in the Chevy was one of the big reasons. I'm not a big Chevy vs. Ford person. Owned and driven both, just liked the LS trim 2500HD CC.

I think if Ford would make their interiors and dash boards nicer they would sell a hell of a lot more trucks. I have two bro-in-laws that are Ford mechanics, one at a dealership, and the other owns a shop, so I'm kinda partial to the Ford products, just wish they would make the cab more carlike ;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
For larger fuel tanks, check out TransferFlow . I've had nothing but good experiences with their set-up.

Mine is an '01 F350 short box and I put in their 48 gallon main replacement tank and 36 gallon auxillary both underneath my rig. Yes, I lost the spare tire holder, but I can strap that to my trailer or throw it in the bed. I now have 84 gallons onboard and easily pull over 1000 miles between fills.

This system integrated great and automatically transfers fuel from the auxillary tank to the main. Now, it's worth it for me to drive cross town for cheap fuel and when on road trips, I don't have to stop at every friggin expensive gas station.

I'm sure their Chevy set-up will work just as well.

-John

Disclaimer: No affiliation, just liked their product.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just to update this thread, i ordered a black crew cab, lt, duramax, allison, short bed, blah blah blah. i'll tell you how i like it. unfortunately, dealers are such idiots, "i can get that for you within 24 hours" doesn't mean much. they have "located" my 4 or 5 truck or so, and so far every one has been blatantly wrong or sold to someone else. and i put money down on it!!

i hope the people that build the chevys are smarter than the people who sell the chevys.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
aaronlosey said:
[ i hope the people that build the chevys are smarter than the people who sell the chevys. [/B]
if they were they would not have put alum. heads on a diesel. good luck on those head gaskets:D

·
Registered
914 Posts
i am shopping new trucks and for what it's worth ,i wouldnt buy the gm . crawl underneath and look at the crap gm puts on their trucks .
fo starters the tie rod is a complete joke , the driveshaft is lame and some of the other parts on the underbelly are very car like .
besides if i am buying a big truck i want a solid front axle .
i really really like the izuzu diesel and allison tranny , to bad gm fumbled on the rest of the truck

my choice is still between the dodge and ford , i drove the 03 dodge cummins yesterday and can say it is sweet ..they finally made the cummins quite
it is a toss up between the dodge and ford both of them are built the way a truck should be built ..

i also hear the ford f650 comes in 4 wheel drive this year with a choice of a caterpillar , cummins or detroit diesel .

·
Registered
54 Posts
If aluminum heads are so bad, then why does every where else use them on there diesel, or why is the new cummins V-6 and V-8 diesel have aluminum heads.Cummins new engines

Bryan

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Aaron,

Any luck? 2WD or 4x4?

I used the www.gmbuypower.com to locate vehicles in dealers stocks. Pretty accurate. The really odd thing in "Farm Areas" you find almost all the 2WD trucks. In the "City Areas" lots more 4x4 versions. As one good ol' boy put it... when I need 4wd, I take the tractor... that way I keep $4K in my pocket. :D

Folks in Bastrop (78602) show a good inventory.
Henna in Austin (78759???) has a huge inventory.
Hempstead is another huge dealer (between Austin & Houston... probably best "quoted" deal by their internet dealer... but ALL their vehicles had tan interiors due to the dirt roads out there... I like the charcoal interior as I have spilled coffee while on the road!)

Don't give those $%^! a dime until you see your truck! I did have
pretty good luck with the "GM Buy Power Manager" usually one or two folks who just send quotes out by email....

Oh, had a GMC dealer that said "yep, in stock.... ". Get up there and the sucker didn't have the Truck. His comment was "this is all I have, what are you going to do about it?" One of the rare times in my life I actually told someone to Fawk Off. Got back in my car and LEFT (Classic Motors in Round Rock, TX)

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
brokentoy said:
or why is the new cummins V-6 and V-8 diesel have aluminum heads.Cummins new engines

Bryan
Bryan, that link was gonna take about 20 minutes to download, or is my computer just a POS? Anyway, is Cummins really making a V8 diesel, and when will it be available?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know when they are going to get them in there, The V-6 will be for the Dakota and Durango, and the V-8 will be for the Ram 1/2 ton. Simply they can't put an 1000 pound inline 6 engine in either of those trucks, thats why I belive they are useing the aluminum heads to keep the weight down, they show close to the same performace as the V-8, but both or over 20 mpg city, and they are working on getting teir 2 emissions out of them. It is a pdf so it is going to take a while to load, if your don't have dsl, Alot ofit is technical that I didn't understand but then there was a lot of good info in there.

Bryan

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i kinda forgot about this thread. i bought it a week ago and already put 1300 miles on it in the first 7 days. i have about 18.1 miles per gallon average says the little electronic mpg monitor. this thing is sweet. i got rid of my SL500 to get this, since the little sports car doesn't pull so well. and i'm 6'2' so i fit very nicely for the first time in my life. the truck pulls a trailer decently, but they aren't exactly fast unless you really put the pedal down.

overall, i love the new truck. it came with stupid stuff though, like xm radio and etched window glass.:rolleyes:

truck stickered at 46900 or about 47000 completely optioned out except for the dvd player. i payed, after tax title and liscence, 42ish. somebody owed me a favor. that is one of the biggest reasons i didn't get the new 6.0 ford.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts