Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1992 S-10 blazer with the 4.3 Vortec, 4 speed auto, etc. It is the kind that has power everything.

Eventually It will sit on two 8 lug HP 44s and some custom 34x18 home made tractor tires.

On to the question.

If I put the brake to the floor and in gear rev the engine there is a draging sort of nise comming from the floor. Its not loud, you have to listen for it. The car is in 2wd, rear wheels not turning. I got on the ground and looked underneath while reving it and couldn't hear anything. So it seems like it might have something to do with ABS (I hope). I removed a 15A fuse named Brake, but that didn't make the noise go away. The rear bake lights don't seem to work even with the fuse in. Should I just remove all of the plugs on the big ABS brick? The noise seems less in 1st and reverse, but I could be wrong. Do cars even have ABS in reverse?

Maybe the problem is comming from a dammaged speed sensor? The CV joint on the front end looks pretty sad. Any ideas would be great.

I don't want to get too far into the project if it needs a new transmission...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Are you sure the fan isn't hitting the shroud? That looks like a pretty hard hit.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I chipped and sawed the shroud out , then slightly bent all the blades back. :) The radiator jammed all the way into the circle part on the fan with tons of little fins and then bounced back a little. There is only one little leak, so I can only run it until it gets hot, then stuff starts comming out. And its good the leak is at the top too.

I tried to get it to happen this morning and I couldn't. I should probably just replace the transmission filter for good measure and then figure out how to kill the ABS.

I did notice that I can't hold the car back with the hydraulic brake, but if I use the emergency brake its locked solid. I think maybe one of the rear cylinders is not blead.

So, anyone know how to turn off the ABS? I forgot to mention earlier tht the ABS light stays on the dashboard. Maybe that's why its wigging out. I might just unplug all the cables. Its not like it will catch on fire...but who knows with so many car computers. There is probably a dealer option blasting cap somewhere to enforce annual dealer service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts