Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all-

itching to get started designing a chassis/suspension for my buggy. i have exp with autocad, and i just got solidworks.

anyone have good resources on learning solidworks? books? should i go take a class?

thanks

ps- some specs that are floating through my head:

ramjet 350 (dont wanna spend 8500 bucks on the 502!)
th400
203/205 doubler

2 seater chassis, 4link front, 3link rear. SAW coilovers

havent decided about axles yet. my wife likes rockwells (!), but its down to these, in this order:

rockwells
mogs
70front (if i can find one), 14bff rear
60 front/14bff rear

anyone ever seen axles/wheels/tires from a 6000lb Lull? if you dont know what that is, look
here . axle specs are as follows:

-OUTBOARD PLANETARY WITH DOUBLE REDUCTION
-4-WHEEL DRIVE
-TORQUE PROPORTIONING FRONT DIFFERENTIAL
-STEERING - 3 MODES: 4 WHEEL ROUND, 2 WHEEL, AND CRAB
-HYDRAULIC FULL POWER STEERING WITH 2 DOUBLE-ACTING STEER CYLINDERS PER AXLE

built in hydro steering is good, and they have OK ground clearance- looks better than rockwells.

these might move to the top of the axle list if i can find some easily/semi-cheap.

custom beadlocks + 53" grooved xmls. maybe the stock wheels/tires, they're beefy. dunno about grip on the rocks though. they'd be tough to trailer too, those fuckers are WIDE!

dunno about the ratio, but its low as balls. i might need an OD to keep it friendly.

comments appreciated!

edit: oh yeah, anyone know of any conscruction heavy equipment junkyards?

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
the class is $5,000 i believe :eek:
and comes with the program

There are books you can buy but i heard they suck

just start makin shit and ask on here if you have any questions

just to let you know it takes a SHIT load of time to make stuff in solid works (at least for me cause i like to fuck around)

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Depends on your timeframe.... if you know acad already then build it in there. The modeling capabilitys of autocad suck but they work good enough if you know what you are dooing. If you want to take the time to learn solidworks that would be the better way of doing it.

my 2 hr autocad cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
being that i have a while before i start, im going to take the time to learn solidworks.

if that doesnt happen, or if i get frustrated (likely) then ill do the acad thing.

thx

·
pimping sparks&smoke
706 Posts
rockmup said:
Hate to hack your thread but anyone willing to burn a copy of solidworks for me?:D [/QUOTE

I downloaded mine from kazaa its like a napster or morpheus.
Richard

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Anyone know a program that is simular to Catia to operate? I know Catia but I have not ever used autocad or anything like it.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Solid works

I know the guy you pay to 5 gs to to teach you Solid works. Uf anyone is interested in a vacation to Florida I could prob get you into the class for a LOT less then 5 grand. Hell I might get him to teach a Pirate Solidworks class if we can get enough people interested. I am saving time off at work so I can go down and take the class and party in South beach with him.

Toddy

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Re: Solid works

ToyToddy said:
I know the guy you pay to 5 gs to to teach you Solid works. Uf anyone is interested in a vacation to Florida I could prob get you into the class for a LOT less then 5 grand. Hell I might get him to teach a Pirate Solidworks class if we can get enough people interested. I am saving time off at work so I can go down and take the class and party in South beach with him.

Toddy
Can you get me the official solidworks book?

I need one

pm me

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
axles from a lull...where are u going to find them cheap?? but they might be cool..we have a jcb at work 8 ton machine and the u joints look to be about 60 size and i think it has gear reduction hubs... and tons of clearance we huge ag tires...i bet that they would't stand up to high horsepower..but maybe:)

·
Registered
808 Posts
I use Solidworks every day at work. IT ROCKS! Acad sucks monkey balls!

You don't need any stinking classes to learn SW. It's a very intuitive program, and if all you plan to do is design a cage/chassis, SW will do that with ease.

Between the online tutorials, and built in tutorials, you can easily teach yourself.

After you use Solidworks, you'll never want to touch Acad again.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Oh yeah, and if you get SW 2003, it has a basic version of Cosmos built into it. So if you learn how to use it, you can do some load analysis on the cage.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
tv_larsen said:
Oh yeah, and if you get SW 2003, it has a basic version of Cosmos built into it. So if you learn how to use it, you can do some load analysis on the cage.
Don't trust Cosmo, It sucks ass

it is good to give you a general idea but could easily be off by several safety factors

·
Registered
808 Posts
TRD said:

Don't trust Cosmo, It sucks ass

it is good to give you a general idea but could easily be off by several safety factors
Absolutely true, the contstraints can make a big difference, but Cosmos is great to pin point the potential problem points, even if it can't tell you if the part will fail or not.

No FEA program is perfect.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I tried the kazaa approach , but the only complete download I could get would load on my Win98 machine.

Unless I screwed it up somehow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts