Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Take a Knee
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning my next AR build and thinking about something very lightweight but still "accurate". Let's call ~1 MOA accurate for the sake of this discussion. I have a lower and a Geissele SSA-E trigger ready to be used so I'm mainly thinking about the upper. Right now, I have my eye on the Daniel Defense DDM4v7 LW A3 upper assembly.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

This won't be an extended, rapid-fire weapon so no need to worry about heating up the barrel too much.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
I have a 20" with a wilson barrel and Midwest SS handguard. With the fagpul rifle stock it's surprisingly light. Shoots MOA.

·
Take a Knee
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buy a quality barrel. The rest are just parts anymore.
I'd prefer to buy a complete upper as I don't have the tools to assemble one and I'm not confident that I wouldn't screw up something.

So, who makes uppers with "quality" barrels?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I bought a BCM upper with light profile barrel and Midwest Industries SS Gen2 handguard. I can hold it out 1 handed like a pistol and shoot decently. It's the lightest AR I own.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I'd prefer to buy a complete upper as I don't have the tools to assemble one and I'm not confident that I wouldn't screw up something.

If I can assemble an upper, anybody can. All you need is a vise, upper receiver block, and a barrel wrench. The cost of the special tools and all the parts to complete the upper will be less than a complete upper.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Doesnt really take any tools. Armorers wrench and a barrel extension device takes care of all ar15's and 10s.
Super chimp simple

SUPER awesome results with rainier ultra match barrels.

Flat out awesome.

Noveske match chambered barrels are supposed to be very nice as well.

·
Take a Knee
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I can assemble an upper, anybody can. All you need is a vise, upper receiver block, and a barrel wrench. The cost of the special tools and all the parts to complete the upper will be less than a complete upper.
Doesnt really take any tools. Armorers wrench and a barrel extension device takes care of all ar15's and 10s.
Super chimp simple

SUPER awesome results with rainier ultra match barrels.

Flat out awesome.

Noveske match chambered barrels are supposed to be very nice as well.
So, now worries about head spacing, etc. - especially in an "accurate" setup?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
So, now worries about head spacing, etc. - especially in an "accurate" setup?
No.
If your using a quality non china knockoff bolt, and its made to spec, your good to go.
The headspacing is set on the barrel extension which is pinned in place.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
White oak arms. Call John and tell him what you want to do. Might not be the lightest thing ever but it will shoot.

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts

I don't know. I've only ever bought one complete upper before. Sounds like the guys above got you lined out though.

There has to be someone close to you that could put a barrel on for you though

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've read good things about ar15performance.com (ARP). I have one of his barrels/bolt in a 6.8spc, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I'm in Omaha, and have all the stuff you need to assemble an upper you want to borrow it. I'm no expert though.. I've only put 1 upper together and I haven't shot it yet. :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'll throw Daniel Defense in there seen several shoot moa

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
You want a Rainier ultra match .223 wylde

Shoots 65gr minute of gnat

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
After buying my first upper complete and eventually changing just about every part on it, I found it was much easier to just build it myself. Really it's easy to do and will save you some money by not having to swap parts on factory upper that isn't exactly what you want. Whether or not you are building your own ARs, you really should have some tools anyways just so you can work on them in the event they need to a worked on. An armorers wrench and upper vise block are really all you need to build an upper.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts