Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on lifting my 86 Cj-7 enough to fit 33's. Right now it has a 1inch (or so) shackle lift with 31's and i never get any rubbing, which is why i was planning on doing a cheapo Add-a-leaf kit for it to get the height i need. Im sure a true spring kit would be a much better idea, the problem is college kid=poor. Has anyone had any experience with these kits? I drive mostly on the beach where suspension flex isn't a problem, but this summer i was thinking about takin it up to Paragon in PA (near my college) for a real real off roading. Which brings me to my next question. Right now i only have a tow strap strictly used for pulling friends in SUV's off the beach but i figure if im going to head to PA i'll need either a winch or a highlift jack. A winch is a little out of my price range right now unless someone's got a cheap used one, so i was considering a highlift jack, do you think this will be enough? or should i save up and invest in a true winch?

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
:rolleyes:

have fun with the hi lift for a winch, hahah.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
A high lift can get you out, but it takes a long long time, and isn't very fun. Moves the vehicle a couple of feet, then you have to re rig everything. I've done it b/f I wouldn't want to do it again. It works in a pinch, but if you are in an off camper or steep grade situation, it's not gonna work b/c the rigs gonna go backwards, tip, or your not gonna be able to un rig it.

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
My CJ had add-a-leafs on it when I first bought it. My kidneys are still hurting.

Wheel it as-is for now, and save up for something worthwhile later. Throwing half-assed mods at it now won't do you any favors.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Can't help you on the add-a-lift, but if you're new to offroading and are going to be heading up to Paragon for the 1st time, you will probably be OK with just a tow strap at 1st. A high lift wouldn't hurt, but if you are sticking to the basic trials and learning the ropes, you probably won't use it anyway. If you are sticking to the 1st couple group levels, generally anyone who is stuck just get's a yank from someone else in the group.

Unless you have a group of people to go with who are familiar with the park, the best thing to do is go up for one of the monthly trail rides. (1st Saturday of the month) If it is your 1st time there, run with the stocker group and get your feet wet. Once you have done a run with the stockers, move up to the next group and run with them the next time. That will give you time to learn and build up your skills, while you test the abilities of your rig. Even running with the stockers, I guarantee you will have a blast.

Steve Z.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Forget the add-a-leaf for gaining height, just check the whole rig out: wheel bearings, suspension parts for wear, broken shit etc. Bring a buddy with another rig, a high lift, and pull strap and have fun. Save your money to do good mods, search this forum for what is a good mod for different parts of the cj. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts