Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
add hydraulic control valve to steering shaft to get hydro-assist?

Wondering if it would be possible to install something like the control valves that Howe uses with their racks with a manual steering box. Splice it into the steering shaft and then hook it up to a pump and ram. Goal would be to add hydro-assist to a vehicle without having to replace the stock manual steering box. Called Howe to ask, but Jeff just left and won't be back in the shop until next Monday.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, that's where I saw them. Just never thought about adding power to a manual box that way.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have been thinking about doing this for a while using a Sweet MFG setup. My thought was that maybe using this you could get a higher flow to the ram than running it through the box and you might be able to run a larger ram without the slow steering feel. But I haven't looked that far into it and I have no clue if it will work. But I am glad to see a thread about it. :D

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
maybe its the cobwebs in my head this morning, but I am not seeing how this sets up.

A regular engine driven power steering pump assists you by pushing the pitman arm instead of relying simply on a mechanical connection like many old trucks and SUVs.

A hydro assist taps an engine driven PS pump and some fluid is diverted to a cylinder which pushes the drag link, but there is still a mechanical connection to the steering, which full hydro removes.

Link posted by Miguel seems to show a ram or rack of sorts with a pump, a filter and maybe a servo?? Looks to me like hydro steering, but he says they dont use a ram, so a hydro "rack" maybe?

TIA for clarification...

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, power-assisted racks just have the hydro ram built into them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts