Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a 92 4Runner I also have an old early Bronco gas tank sitting around.. It is a nice size and I am thinking about seeing if it will fit where the stock spare tire would mount.. Now I am thinking of making it a transfer tank only.. Just flip a switch to fill the stock tank back up.. Any ideas on the best way to set up this transfer ?? Short of a second gas gauge is there any way to tell when the transfer tank is empty? I would use a small fuel pump and I was thinking about maybe adding a fiting to the stock tank on the top or wold it be better in a hose?? Also, what should I do about vapor expansion?? Just "T" it ino the Toyota line??

Thanks, Lee

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
I have a 16 gallon fuel cell on my truck as a holding take. This is how I have it set up:

I cut the vent line that runs along side the filler and put a "T" in it. I ran a line from the cell to a small Napa electric fuel pump, then a small filter then a ¾ ball valve and on to the “T.” You have to have the ball valve be cause the vacuum from the main tank will pull gas from the reserve tank and over fill the main tank and it will make its ay to the charcoal canister and run like crap. When I am stopped at camp and I want to transfer fuel I loosen the main tank cap, open the ball valve, and flip the switch. You will be able to tell when the reserve tank is empty by the different sound the fuel pump makes

Attachments

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
Firefyter_Emt said:
Very nice.. do you have any problems with the "T" pushing gas out near the cap??
No, because the fuel pump is low pressure and the filler is at a pretty good angle. It takes about 15 minutes to transfer the gas.:D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thanks.. that EB gas tank looks like it is begging to be placed up there and I am sick of 200ish miles on a tank of gas.. I also take a couple 1000k trips with it and this makes it all the more a PITA..

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
got any more pics/details on the overall setup OOP's?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts