Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 824 Posts

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here we go. I've been collecting parts and donors for the last few months.

I picked up an EVO2 EX chassis from Tim Chiles @ Bent Fabrications.

Here is my actual chassis on my new trailer. I was just outside of Lexington, KY. The trailer was ordered and custom built to my specs directly from Gator-made trailers in Kentucky. Its a 10,400lb rated trailer. 20ft deck. Very nice trailer and very well priced considering what I priced out here in CO. It saved me about $1300 over the same trailer locally. I picked it up in Lexington right before getting the chassis. I flew into Richmond, VA on Wednesday afternoon, picked up my mom in her V8 4runner, then drove to Lexington to grab both the trailer and chassis before heading back on to Colorado.

Now, the plan for this buggy is going to be a Toyota based Ultra 4 style buggy. While I doubt that I will ever actually compete in this buggy, I still want it to be capable of doing endurance type U4 racing/wheeling.
So, I decided to stay with an all Toyota based drivetrain with some tweaks. I found this Lexus LS400 as a parts car locally. I snagged it for the donor vehicle. Its got a nice, clean 1UZ-FE V8. This is an all aluminum block V8 putting out 265hp and 268 ft/lbs of torque. This motor was originally designed by Toyota for CART/IRL type racing and was to be put into GT500 type race. However, it was never actually run in these types of races. So, its designed to be capable of very high HP. The best part though is that with the aluminum block and heads, it only weighs about 75lbs more than a 22re.

My plan with this motor is to boost it with a Garrett GT-38 turbo from a 96' 7.3L Powerstroke motor. We will be working with water/meth injection and a piggyback system of some sort. This should provide a legit 350-400rwhp on 40s without too much worry about motor internals.

I will retain the stock A340 tranny, and will add on a Jeep AW4 rear tailhousing and output shaft. This will allow me to bolt this to the back of the tranny:

Axles will be Diamond Axles with 9.5" Land Cruiser 3rds. I plan to run FJ80 outers up front with Hellfire Knuckles and 30 spline FJ80 CVs(when they get released). The rear will be a full floater with disc brakes. 40" Stickies will be sourced as well.

Here is a teaser pic of the EVO Speed chassis which is very similar to the chassis that I got.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
I've been waiting on this, going to be a great build. Get some sealer on the trailer boards, I love my Gator trailer.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
:grinpimp:

I missed one those cars for dirt cheap a few weeks ago. I am thinking about building those same axles, so I can lose the weight of tons. Who is making the 30 spline?

·
Registered
715 Posts
My plan with this motor is to boost it with a Garrett GT-38 turbo from a 96' 7.3L Powerstroke motor. We will be working with water/meth injection and a piggyback system of some sort. This should provide a legit 350-400rwhp on 40s without too much worry about motor internals.

has this been done before??? seem to me like your gonna have a lot of turbo lag

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

has this been done before??? seem to me like your gonna have a lot of turbo lag
Plenty of 1uz motors have been boosted. Lextreme.com is full of them. Most are in SC400s though.

Or, are you referring to the Garrett turbo? We plan on playing with the compressor side. Ideally I want it to spool around 2200-2300rpms.

Believe it or not, that turbo is damn near perfect for this setup. It just so happened I had it sitting on the shelf as a spare for my old PSD. Glade(one of my employees) is big into Honda tuning. He has a 01' Prelude that pushes around 750hp on E85. He will be setting me up with this and dialing it all in. Here is a pic of his motor in his prelude.

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
I am really looking forward to this build. I have always liked that chassis since it was 1st made a few years ago. I imagine there will be some amazing fab work as was with your 3rd gen 4runner. You'll like the Hellfire fab Knuckles they are extremely strong.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Wow! U are a madman! I think uve passed my old record of 8 personal use rock crawlers builds in 8 years:D i look back and dont know how i did it. Uve still got the motivation and passion of a 25 year old:)

The chassis lines are very cool looking. It looks fast just as it sits as a bunch of tubes! Those lexus cars are all over w 250-300k on them. Good motor choice for a non LS* whatever. The turbo induction is gonna be insanely cool. As well as the loyalty u have to toyota running gear and 80 series axle guts.

Good luck! Ull have lots of toyota fans for sure!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
This build is so legit! i cant wait to see the progress. I have the same drivetrain and axles going in a 3rd gen extracab right now, it would be tits to have all this in a buggy.

lextreme has a writeup on how to wire a 1uz vvt motor. its not particularly hard i dont think. im running megasquirt on my early 1uz so i can bump the 260 up to 300hp like your year motor, but have the stronger internals of the earlier motor. one good thing about the vvt motors is the toque comes on earlier. a lot of people dont know these 1uz's have almost 200 ft-lbs available at 2K rpm.

i love that chassis, it still retains the pickup look. excellent choice!!!

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This build is so legit! i cant wait to see the progress. I have the same drivetrain and axles going in a 3rd gen extracab right now, it would be tits to have all this in a buggy.

lextreme has a writeup on how to wire a 1uz vvt motor. its not particularly hard i dont think. im running megasquirt on my early 1uz so i can bump the 260 up to 300hp like your year motor, but have the stronger internals of the earlier motor. one good thing about the vvt motors is the toque comes on earlier. a lot of people dont know these 1uz's have almost 200 ft-lbs available at 2K rpm.

i love that chassis, it still retains the pickup look. excellent choice!!!
This is actually NOT the VVT-I motor. Its the last year of the non-VVT-I. Still a very nice, capable motor. It doesn't have the forged stuff like yours does, but it still should be okay to get to around 350rwhp. Especially on something this light.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! U are a madman! I think uve passed my old record of 8 personal use rock crawlers builds in 8 years:D i look back and dont know how i did it. Uve still got the motivation and passion of a 25 year old:)

The chassis lines are very cool looking. It looks fast just as it sits as a bunch of tubes! Those lexus cars are all over w 250-300k on them. Good motor choice for a non LS* whatever. The turbo induction is gonna be insanely cool. As well as the loyalty u have to toyota running gear and 80 series axle guts.

Good luck! Ull have lots of toyota fans for sure!!
Tell me about it. I can't count how many I have owned. In all honesty, I bet its over 100 vehicles since being married 14 years ago. My wife isn't even phased by it anymore. She just rolls her eyes.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
the lines on the chassis look pretty cool. did you happen to find out how much the chassis weighed?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
ur repeated hard work has paid off and ur business has gotten so huge. Couldnt be happening to a nicer, more deserving guy. I think of how generous and helpful u were when my dad(OOPS)broke the steering arm in area bfe. U barely even had met us, but u went WAY outta ur way to help. Our vacation wouldnt have been as fun if oops woulda had to put his truck on the trailer for the rest of the trip...not to mention the extraction of his vehicle would have been way more involved and messy without the parts/help u imediately offered.(pieces of ur own truck in fact).

I wish u the best scotty! Sorry this sounds so cheesy, but i really do mean it bro:D this buggy is gonna be rad, what circuit(s)/events do u intend to race? Id love to be there supporting "team addicted" in my cheerleading outfit and bomboms!!!:D ill probably copy ur axle arrangements on my next build, although it wont be as ambitious as a buggy/racecar.

EDIT: i saw ur not racing it. Boo!!:D Itll still definitely be a great build thread w some clean fabrication and unique ideas to check out!

·
Registered
956 Posts
This is actually NOT the VVT-I motor. Its the last year of the non-VVT-I. Still a very nice, capable motor. It doesn't have the forged stuff like yours does, but it still should be okay to get to around 350rwhp. Especially on something this light.

i see it up there now. yours is the next version after mine but before the vvt. 350rwhp is completely within reason for the 1uz. Good luck! :smokin:

*EDIT* LS V8's have the front sump iirc, will you swap the oil pan or work around it?

1 - 20 of 824 Posts