Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm stupid and bought a JK tcase. It turns out they don't have a speed sensor, speedo drive gear, VSS, or any of those things in them because the JK uses the wheel speed sensors instead.

Any decent kits out there to retrofit? Or any other ideas? I'm only needing it to drive a speedometer.

I'd rather not go with a GPS speedo because the instrument cluster isn't big enough to easily retrofit gauges into. But, eh.

Not running the JK tcase is also probably a solid option. :laughing:

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
Trade it for a TJ case ?

Oh, and while you're at it, start a new PBB, should be considerably easier and cheaper than when it was done back in the late 90's, I would chip in, and I am certain others would (because entry fee) even though you are basically our Northern enemy I reluctantly cyber trust that you are semi capable of this monumental feat with Trumps help of course .

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably easier/cheaper to sell the JK case, though.
By sell it you mean put it in the shed with the 20 other random tcases? :homer:

Dakota Digital doesn't have anything I can see. I mean a guy could adapt some sort of universal tach pickup to do it, but eh. I think the other solution would be to narrow down what I plan to use for a rear axle, since most modern stuff has a VSS/ABS/WSS/whatever somewhere on it.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Trade it for a TJ case ?

Oh, and while you're at it, start a new PBB, should be considerably easier and cheaper than when it was done back in the late 90's, I would chip in, and I am certain others would (because entry fee) even though you are basically our Northern enemy I reluctantly cyber trust that you are semi capable of this monumental feat with Trumps help of course .
TJ tcase is no better than anything else I've got. I have at least a couple NP231s out of XJs, at least one XJ 242, 2 Dodge 241DHD, 1 or 2 GM 241, 1 Dodge 241 passenger drop, a NP205F, and maybe the odd other thing out there. I'd used a 241DHD if it came down to it I guess, they're the right input and stronger than the Jeep trash.

I wanted a 242D (HD) out of a later model Dodge, since I believe they're 32 splines on both outputs, and I could probably hack and tap it to have a SYE (although I honestly can just run a slip yoke with the large output, but I don't want to). just couldn't find one, so I grabbed this cheap/tight JK tcase (20K miles on it since new, no need to rebuild) since it already has a fixed rear yoke and I have one of the needed conversion yokes for it already.

Edit, www.buttpirate4x4.com is available. Should I pull the trigger on that?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dakota digital has a GPS unit that communicates directly to the speedo on your dash. I am likely going to have to go that route for my ford np205 to 93 XJ cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dakota digital has a GPS unit that communicates directly to the speedo on your dash. I am likely going to have to go that route for my ford np205 to 93 XJ cluster.

I honestly hate GPS units but will use one if I have to.

There's a better solution available for the NP205F than that. I have a drive adapter on mine to make it the same as a Jeep screw on drive, and from there you should be able to screw on a jeep style signal generator and plug it into your existing wiring. I could get you a picture of the generator I'm talking about if you're curious, but I believe a 93 would have used one from the factory.

PATC makes the adapter: https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/9fca/

He also sells an 8 pulse one that threads directly into a Ford drive. Not sure if 8 pulses is anything that will work.

He has all the gears for calibration too.

Honestly, I think Dakota Digital sells some super hack shit.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Have you nailed down what axles you're using yet? If not, just run something with a VSS/tone ring. All you need is one for a speedo.

Maybe a tone ring and VSS on the output of the tc?

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What transmission do you have?
NV3550. No VSS provisions.

Have you nailed down what axles you're using yet? If not, just run something with a VSS/tone ring. All you need is one for a speedo.

Maybe a tone ring and VSS on the output of the tc?
Axles aren't nailed down. There's the option to run something with one, and I'm keeping that in mind.

I'd assumed somebody would sell an output tone ring kit, but I guess not?

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How hard could it be to make one??? Machine a ring and buy the proxy switch of your chosing. Seems simple enough to do in my head... :homer:
It doesn't seem hard, however it's always nice to find somebody else has done something so you can learn from their mistakes or copy their good ideas.

I'll have to see if a 1350 CV style round flange will fit that output shaft. If it does then it would be easy to build off.

This is all just spitballin', nothing's in stone here at this point.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been waiting to see if I can pick up VSS inputs from my sterling 10.5 ring at the diff to feed my 93 xj speed sensor also.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts