Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've wanted to build one of these for a while and instead of working on my Scout, I decided to finially put it together. I wanted it height adjustable so that it could be lowered down to fit in the garage, yet raised up to get the higher stuff. It's wide enough to straddle the gooseneck, truck, etc. It works great for taking the top off the JK.

The uprights are 3' long reciever tubes that were purchased for another project that we never started. All of the materials I had sitting around except for the casters and hoist winch.

On to the picts....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
So I've wanted to build one of these for a while and instead of working on my Scout, I decided to finially put it together. I wanted it height adjustable so that it could be lowered down to fit in the garage, yet raised up to get the higher stuff. It's wide enough to straddle the gooseneck, truck, etc. It works great for taking the top off the JK.

The uprights are 3' long reciever tubes that were purchased for another project that we never started. All of the materials I had sitting around except for the casters and hoist winch.

On to the picts....
nice welds,what kind of weight do those casters carry?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Paint...

I have a reciever tube set in concrete on the side of my driveway that the tube bender mounts to. I stuck a piece of scrap in it to hold the main bar up for paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The details...

I drilled different sized holes in the 1/2" gussets to give me a place to store all of the various shackles, slings, and snatch blocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harbor Freight hoist winch. I got the 1350# version and was very impressed with the quality and weight that this thing had. For the money it was well worth it. It is very quick. So quick that I hooked up the snatch block just to slow it down a bit. It would yank the top off the JK before I could get my finger off the trigger.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2954

List price, $169 got it on sale with a 20% coupon and it was about $100 :smokin:

I also picked up the 2 slings that you see on the side leg. They were $10 each and are rated for 1000# each.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44847

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trolley....

I had a whole bin full of these really nice v block pulleys packed with sealed bearings. 3 rows of 3 each gave me a nice smooth and distributed trolley. Used the plasma to trim down a piece of 6x3x.25" angle for the main brackets. Note that the hole in the middle will engage the holes in the main beam with a 5/8" hitch pin to keep the trolley put when I don't want it to roll.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Thats a really sweet looking project. My only .02 fwiw would be to drill one big hole in one of the black flanges big enough so you can fit the screw of a C clamp through it so you can clamp the trolly solid at any position along the top rail.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last picts are of the finished project. This is the fully lowered position and fully raised position. Note that when dropped down, the 2" comes out the bottom to let it drop down further.

Lowered it's about 5.5'
Raised it's about 10'

I know we've all picked up stuff that we really shouldn't and have paid for it afterwards. Well at least I have. Hopefully this will save me some pain. I know I've used it at least a few times a week already.

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a really sweet looking project. My only .02 fwiw would be to drill one big hole in one of the black flanges big enough so you can fit the screw of a C clamp through it so you can clamp the trolly solid at any position along the top rail.
There is a hitch pin that goes in the trolly hole and into one of the main beam holes. The holes are 12" apart on the main beam and 6" apart on the verticals.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Awesome project and very nice job. Did you just make it up as you went or did you follow a plan? If you used a plan, was it of you own making?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had made my plan and knew what I wanted before I started. Like I said all of the materials I had on hand so some of the design was tailor'd around what was around.

As for the rating difference between the hoist and the rest of it, I had much rather the hoist not pick up something as to have the gantry bend, break, or otherwise not be rated. If it's too heavy, then the hoist just won't cut it and I'm ok with that. I wanted good quality casters cause there is nothing more frusterating than cheap casters. The only thing I wish I had splurged on was I didn't get locks on the casters so it can sometimes get away from you on the gradual slope of the driveway.

Most things that I will be picking up with this are going to be 500# or less. Axles, camp box, tool box, tube bender, frame, Scout tub, JK hard top, etc. This should do all of that fine.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Great project.

Since the base (upside down T) is already tube, you might want to make up some extensions, or out riggers.

If something starts to sway at all while suspended it might tip over due to how narrow it is. BTDT with the Rover hard top, not fun. Re-did mine with a 6' base.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
how do you lower and raise the gantry by yourself?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Great project.

Since the base (upside down T) is already tube, you might want to make up some extensions, or out riggers.

If something starts to sway at all while suspended it might tip over due to how narrow it is. BTDT with the Rover hard top, not fun. Re-did mine with a 6' base.
x2

I like it I've wanted one forever, maybe I'll quit being lazy and build one.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may eventually add some outriggers.

As long as the winch isn't on the end you're trying to lift, it's not bad. I slide a piece of 5/8" rod into one of the holes that gives me something to lift on.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts