Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a stud back out behind the pump and am pulling the whole pump to replace the $2 stud.
While I have it apart I was wondering about modifying the timing.
I don't see how you could do this except by twisting the pump on the studs after it is installed.

How do you adjust the timing on one of these?
Internally?

I know how to adjust the low end pressure and high end pressure by modifying the pump. I have never seen much about changing (retarding) the pump timing.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
you want to advance the timing by pushing the pump towards the block past the timing mark on the cae by like 1/8 i think is the distance. i think there is like 4 bolts you losen to push the pump over. but since your tacking it off anyways just park everything and find the timing tick mark and got 1/16 or 1/8th past that. its really personel prefrence. jiMMy

BETTER WRITE UP... from DTR
There are 3-13mm nuts and 1-10mm bolt.
The 3 nuts are on the flange of the pump, and fairly obvious to see, with the very top and very bottom ones being a tad hard to reach. I loosen off the top and bottom till they turn easily, and the middle one, loosen, then just snug a tad.
The 10mm is at the bottom of and just back of the pump. The bolt actually faces the firewall.
It is on a bracket down there and needs to be loose.
Once that is done, you get a good grip on the pump and push like he$$.
If that don't work get a buddy to reach over the top and pull... if ya got no buddy then get a rubber mallet, and wack the AFC housing at the joint. Don't worry it'll be ok... just don't take a run at it.
You want to open the gap on the two index marks by about 1/8" .
BTW, the index marks are located at the middle of the pump flange and opposite that, on the gear case.
Try to avoid loosening all the other things, you'll need a special socket to get at the majority of fuel lines anyway...
Normally you can get it to move by using one or all of the above methods....

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I had already done.
Thanks, I thought there was a more involved process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts