Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I did a little research on the Adobe Acrobat to determine whether buying a license or going month by month on the cloud is the best bet. I can go either way...

Basically, my boss and one other engineer want to be able to edit a PDF now and then (we have 7 people in the office). So, what is a good and legal solution..in everyone's opinion? Or no ones...whatever the case may be. :p:p

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I'm in the planning stages of buying a Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner for my desktop. I comes with a full licensed copy of Abobe, so I'll be able to do the editing I want, such as inserting & removing pages, re-ordering pages, and basic editing. Not sure if you're looking for more features, but that what I've been eyeing.

Other than that, I use the free Acrobat at work.

Linky to Staples.ca Scanner

·
Premium Member
25,923 Posts
If you don't need the best of the best buy an older version off Amazon that was a retail box. It's cheap and would do most everything you need. I still use a copy of 9 pro at home that I not found something it can't do for me. I think I paid $150 for it. Yeah it's old. But it still works.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don't need the best of the best buy an older version off Amazon that was a retail box. It's cheap and would do most everything you need. I still use a copy of 9 pro at home that I not found something it can't do for me. I think I paid $150 for it. Yeah it's old. But it still works.
Yes! Great idea (in my budget!)

Thanks Matt!

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
My Adobe Suite "froze" at version 6 (v8ish of Acrobat) (2nd to last that ain't subscription). I got , put it on one machine, and couldn't see enough reason to load it on the other two boxes.

For the majority of the work I do, v6 is the bees knees. Everything after is fluff, IMHO.

I suppose if I were a web designer I'd find more utility in the latest releases.

Only downside is asking clients to "save down" a version of input work so I can edit.

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
Better Question: What are you trying to do with Acrobat? The more features you want, the more you'll want the real deal.

If you want to send PDFs to engineers, etc. for digital markup and comment, I'm not sure the freebies will get you there.

How editable do you need 'em is probably the basic question.

As long as you've not password protected it, between acrobat and illustrator I can make mayhem with your documents. :evil:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Do you own Office 2013? Word 2013 converts PDF's to fully editable documents. They can be saved back to a PDF format too.

·
Window Licker
14,783 Posts
Bluebeam > Adobe, Nuance, etc.

Still a few hundred bucks, but use the CAD version and it blows the last version of Adobe I used straight out of the water. They also have a 30 day full trial on their website if you want to try before you buy.

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
Fuck Adobe get blue beam, everyone in my office who learned it rathers it.

Watch these videos to see the capabilities.
Bluebeam | Training Videos
That looks suprisingly complete.:smokin:

FYI, until a few revs ago, Acrobat Pro was free when you bought Illustrator or Photoshop. It sure ain't worth what Adobe wants for it. I consider it a utility.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
That looks suprisingly complete.:smokin:

FYI, until a few revs ago, Acrobat Pro was free when you bought Illustrator or Photoshop. It sure ain't worth what Adobe wants for it. I consider it a utility.
until a few years ago adobe was not insane.

now they're fully batshit crazy with their licensing.

·
Window Licker
14,783 Posts
until a few years ago adobe was not insane.

now they're fully batshit crazy with their licensing.
I think that last version I used was 9 and it sucked. Every time I wanted to do something (draw a shape, edit, etc.) I had to google how to do it because I couldn't find anything in the fucking menus.

Bluebeam is intuitive and has far more features. Plus, with good vector drawings you can actually snap and do on screen takeoffs in seconds.

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
I think that last version I used was 9 and it sucked. Every time I wanted to do something (draw a shape, edit, etc.) I had to google how to do it because I couldn't find anything in the fucking menus.
>> "Show Tools"

Yeah, it waqs a stupid implementation. You ought to be able to do most things with a menu command. I have both 8 and 9 on my box. 8 is normally what I use.

·
Window Licker
14,783 Posts
>> "Show Tools"

Yeah, it waqs a stupid implementation. You ought to be able to do most things with a menu command. I have both 8 and 9 on my box. 8 is normally what I use.
I believe the one I hated was trying open the option box to format text color/size/font in a text box. The last version I used had no menu option to do this. There was a keyboard shortcut that I could never remember and I had to google it every time. Maybe they finally fixed that. Adobe still sucks after using Bluebeam CAD.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe the one I hated was trying open the option box to format text color/size/font in a text box. The last version I used had no menu option to do this. There was a keyboard shortcut that I could never remember and I had to google it every time. Maybe they finally fixed that. Adobe still sucks after using Bluebeam CAD.
Thats what I use. The thing I use it for most is to piece number drawings. We would normally get AutoCAD dwgs from the Eng Firm. Now I dont even ask for them. I just use the PDF which is always supplied and and number with the sequence feature on Blue Beam. I love it, don't even use autocad when I do have dwgs to pc number. I designed my own boxes and symbols with BB and go to town with it.

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
Thats what I use. The thing I use it for most is to piece number drawings. We would normally get AutoCAD dwgs from the Eng Firm. Now I dont even ask for them. I just use the PDF which is always supplied and and number with the sequence feature on Blue Beam. I love it, don't even use autocad when I do have dwgs to pc number. I designed my own boxes and symbols with BB and go to town with it.
So, it allows editing of text?

Most of the Dawg files I get, the text is all vectorizer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts