Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this once already but it didnt show up, so I'll try it again
I have an cj-7 w/350, 350 trans,np205 x-fer case, 14 bolt rear, sprung over with wagoneer leaf springs. problem is that I keep busting d/s and the straps. The np205 has a 1310 pinion and the 14 bolt has a 1350 pinion. Im using one of those 1310/1350 combo universals. At one time I ordered a d/s with a cv joint in it and the problem was that it took up to much space and made the angle much more extreme. right now I just put new spring perches on but have not welded them beause I dont know the angle to weld them at with my set up. I'm sure that I'm not the only person that has ths problem, I need advice on how to correct it or suggestions on how to fix it...............or just some ideas about what to do. pics would be nice.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Parts of this story seam odd... So your going spring under? or the 14 bolt spring pads were previously cut off? The stock position should be fine unless your way up there.

Or you cut them off to rotate up for you monster Jeep?

You need a 1350 yoke for the t-case.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,255 Posts
Got an anti-wrap bar?

Those springs are flexible and that's allot of leverage on the bottom of them.

Bet you're wrapping your springs past the point of the 1310 joint's ability to compensate.

(changes the pinion angle when it wraps)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I cut the spring pads off to narrow them and to turn my pinion up the first time. I just recently ground them off again to try and straighten out all my problems.

this is set up as a spring over

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you think 1410's at both ends would help? I found a company that sells them for the np205 and for the 14 bolt rear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check out the tech info on Tom Woods website for angles w/standard and CV shaft.

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

They will tell you the average CV is good for up to 25 degrees. All the angle is at the t-case. You should have no angle at the axle pinion. I think this is more angle total than you can get w/a standard shaft. THey are pretty friendly guys at Tom Woods. I would give them a call.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Got an anti-wrap bar?

Those springs are flexible and that's allot of leverage on the bottom of them.

Bet you're wrapping your springs past the point of the 1310 joint's ability to compensate.

(changes the pinion angle when it wraps)
This is exactly your problem- your axle is wrapping the springs. You don't need a joint with more travel, you need an anti-wrap bar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx for the input, this is just getting frustating. I will call those guys when I get off work tonight (tom woods, and high angle drive line), and seek advice too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow their solution was a 900.00 shaft. I need a different solution because I'm a poverty stricken brotha

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am afraid I could never do a spring over because I would have A LOT more angle. But running 33's currently and stepping up to 35's in the future shouldn't be problem with my 3" body lift, 4" lift springs and 2" lift shackles. You must be running some huge tires because you have the corporate 14 beast in there!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to turn my rear pinion up pretty high so that at full droop the front of the d/s doesnt hit the yoke coming out of x-fer case. this is how I had it before when I was eating up the rear of my d/s. I am building a anti-wrap currently. I may just have to put the pinion back the way it was and add the anti-wrap bar

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have to turn my rear pinion up pretty high so that at full droop the front of the d/s doesnt hit the yoke coming out of x-fer case. this is how I had it before when I was eating up the rear of my d/s. I am building a anti-wrap currently. I may just have to put the pinion back the way it was and add the anti-wrap bar
I was able to chop 1.5" or so off the top of my cross member where the tranny mount sits and welding in a plate and re drilling the mount bolt holes, thus lowering it. This helped out the angle somewhat.

What did they quote you for 900? They told me I could run the standard slip CV style drive shaft which is good for 25 degrees which is 300. I ended up just getting the front shaft out of a 1990 cherokee and had it shortened and balanced for 90 bucks. I have have another one made up I will use a rear shaft out of a bronco if I can get my hands on one. The solid splined slip shaft is larger diameter on that one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my x-fer case is on a chevy cross member (narrowed) and I dropped the whol cross member down 1.5" already

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
X2 on the anti-wrap bar....

Which joint(s) do you keep busting?

Do the bar... then the yoke (1350).

Try & find a donor ford case & upgrade the output & the output shaft (32spline).

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,255 Posts
X2 on the anti-wrap bar....

Which joint(s) do you keep busting?

Do the bar... then the yoke (1350).

Try & find a donor ford case & upgrade the output & the output shaft (31 spline).
Furds are 32 spline output

31 spline input.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts