Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I got ripped off on a 14 bolt because I was dumb enough to not pop the diff cover and trust the PO's word.

Ended up buying a 4.56 14 bolt with a gov lock. Gov lock is now broken and I need some advice as to whether it is fixable or not.

The gov lock mechanism was already removed by the PO (unbeknownst to me until I just tore it apart). The center ring that connects the 3 cross pins is broken. I dont think this matters if I weld everything together into the infamous "orb of traction".

What say ye?

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,984 Posts
It's screwed, keep the pins lined up with half of the case, add some heavy tacks. then flip it over and heavy tacks on the other side. Use the case halves to keep it lined up or you won't get the halves back together.

PB280055.jpg

PB280052.jpg

PB280053.jpg

PB280051.jpg

PB280054.jpg

Save some money, because you're gonna need it for a new center section eventually. Find a stock center section, drop in a detroit, or ARB.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I planned to do. Just wanted to verify that the center section being broke isn't going to affect anything. I figured it wouldn't if I'm welding it all into one big chunk anyway. Just have to take it slow and let it cool slowly in some sand or under a welding blanket maybe.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Save some money, because you're gonna need it for a new center section eventually. Find a stock center section, drop in a detroit, or ARB.
I have spare 14 bolt with a 3.73 open carrier. I plan to regear and 3 link the front this winter so I'm just looking to get it back on the trail for now.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Buy a spool and be done with it. I've seen you wheel. You need the traction :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
Can't run that. I have a gov lock carrier. Only 3 cross pins. I don't think they make a mini spool for the gov lock carriers.

Full spool is the only option if I don't weld it
i quoted your post saying you have a spare 14b with an open carrier in it :shaking: pull that carrier out and put it in this axle :homer:

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
Haha my fault. You have a point. I'm assuming those mini spools hold up ok?
id run a mini spool before i ran a full spool because imo the design of the stock carrier is going to have less deflection under load then a full spool will due to the lack of any ribbing on a spool.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
id run a mini spool before i ran a full spool because imo the design of the stock carrier is going to have less deflection under load then a full spool will due to the lack of any ribbing on a spool.

That's a good point. I plan to use that spare carrier at some point and I agree with your logic. For now I'm just trying to get it back on the trail. Using the 3.73 carrier means I'll be into a 4.56 thick gear set. I plan to tear down the jeep this winter to 3 link the front and step up to 5.13's so I didn't want to have to buy gears twice for the rear this year. I can use the other carrier at that point and swap in a mini spool at that time.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
in that case i would just weld that fucker up and run it, then upgrade in the future as you already plan to
Yea I agree with ^^^

So bring that 14b over so I can start shaving it for the new rig I'm gonna build....:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got some heavy tacks laid tonight and bolted the case halves back together then wrapped it in a canvas tarp to help it cool slower. I'll lay some more metal glue in it tomorrow tonight and call it done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts