Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I got my new motor and tranny installed in my '96 Tahoe, and was just about to fire her up and test it out, but I figured I'd test shift the gears before starting. That's when I found out that the tranny wasn't shifting properly (though it shifts fine with channel locks manually on the trans. Well, I realized I had left off the tranny shift cable bracket that bolts onto the rear of the tranny to keep the entire cable from moving forward and back when you shift gears. Then I realized why...the tranny I bought doesn't have the mounting points on it to attach the bracket. This tranny was from a '95 - '97 Tahoe, the same as mine, but is missing the mounting points! Looking at the tranny, I can't tell where the shift cable bracket would mount. I've included 2 pics of where mine sat on my old tranny, and a pic of the new tranny without the bracket mounting points. What can I do to make this work??

By the way, I did try using longer bolts through the tranny pan and a couple nuts to hold the bracket on the bolts, but the bolts that go through the pan are much too close to the tranny case to get a nut on them or to slide the bracket onto them. I also tried mounting the bracket to the underside of the tranny in those same tranny pan bolt holes (running the bolt through the bracket, then into the tranny pan and tranny case) but it holds the shift cable much too low. I would need about another 1.5" at least on my shifter cable to make it work. It won't hit Park because the cable isn't long enough. I tried extending the cable by using the cable adjustment at the cable end, but it only gives about 1/2" or so, and I need another 1.5" . Any way to lenghten the shift cable? Can I have the bracket welded into place without removing the tranny? Aftermarket shift kit? Or does anyone know on the tranny I bought (3rd picture) where the tranny cable bracket mounts and I'll just go buy whatever bracket it uses. I can't find anywhere to mount a bracket. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
why not build a bracket shaped like this and bolt the bracket to the tranny pan and get the cable mount back up into the same plane it used to be. This would not be a difficult bracket to build. Probably the case you have was from a linkage shifted trans, not sure about this, but that would be my assumption. Anyhow, your other option would be to go to an aftermarket shifter, like a B&M or something...

I appoligize for the crappy art...
Later,
Jason

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Jason. My only problem with building a bracket like that is that the bolt holes where the tranny pan mount are too close to the case of the tranny to get a nut on the bolt to hold that bracket on. The bolt is literally up against the tranny case.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
so bolt it underneath spaced down a little from the tranny pan like a B&M bracket is mounted. You will just have to make it a bit taller, and maybe a backwards C shape instead of a S to get it back where it needs to be.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...that might work. I'll get back under there tomorrow and take a look at what I have to work with. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I've decided that a backward "C" shape would do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion, Jason! Now, anyone know who would do something like this? I went to Aamco, and they wanted to rebuild my newly rebuilt tranny for $2500! :flipoff2:

I tried looking up "metal fabrication" in the Yellow Pages, and I got a bunch of companies that build multi-million dollar metal projects. I looked up "auto fabrication" and got a company that is no longer in business. I looked up "automotive service" and got 2500 hits. Anyone know what type of place specifically I should be looking for, or better yet, know anyone in the Denver/Front Range area that does this? Thanks again. :smokin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why not try this:

Put long bolts back in, long enough to get you above the case obstruction. Then get you some thin wall metal tube that will fit over the bolts. Cut them both the same lenght. Then just bolt your bracket down to that.

Also I would be willing to make brackets and what not for people, but I do not have time right at the moment. Check out my website:

www.dhprecision.com

I just got done doing some rock crawler parts as well as doing some T-Case machining for the same rig. Anyhow give that a try.

Darrell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts