Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says, I need help choosing a pair of FOA coilovers. I cut the back off my jeep and comp cut the rear to extend the wheelbase. I will be building a double triangulated rear 4 or 3 link. I decided I want to go coilovers and I chose the FOA coilovers. The only problem I'm having is choosing which ones to get ( as I have no experience with coilovers).

I wheel washington so pretty much all trail riding. No racing or much rock crawling at all.

I think I want the 2" body shocks but not sure on length or coils. I'm thinking 12 or 14" travel.

Any input?
Thanks

·
5,599 Posts
So as the title says, I need help choosing a pair of FOA coilovers. I cut the back off my jeep and comp cut the rear to extend the wheelbase. I will be building a double triangulated rear 4 or 3 link. I decided I want to go coilovers and I chose the FOA coilovers. The only problem I'm having is choosing which ones to get ( as I have no experience with coilovers).

I wheel washington so pretty much all trail riding. No racing or much rock crawling at all.

I think I want the 2" body shocks but not sure on length or coils. I'm thinking 12 or 14" travel.

Any input?
Thanks
We cant tell you what you want.
You need to decide how you will mount them first, then determine how tall you want your rig. This will determine the 12 or 14in shock and how much up travel.

Next you will need to know your rear weight.

This might get you close to a usable spring setup on a 14in shock.
12in 150lb
14in 200lb
6in 90lb tender

I would do a tender coil no matter what.

search for spring rate calculator, you can put in different sprung weight and determine ride height for different coil spring combo's

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses! I will search some more and post up if I have more questions.

Wut does the tender coil do exactly?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The helper coil is a short spring which is very easy to compress. It mounts between the the top spring seat and the tender coil (top coil), it will stay compressed until the suspension gets close to full droop. Then it will expand and give just enough force to keep the tender coil and main coil from rattling around. It also gives you a 3rd coil rate making your coilover a triple rate coilover.

PS..im in the same boat you are in and am also working on a rear 4 link and FOAs. Im planning on the 14 inch travel with the coil rates ashman gave you
14 in 200lb main coil with a 12 inch 150 lb tender coil. go to the tech section on pirate and look for the coilover bible part 1 and 2, read everything thats there. It helped me out alot, hope this helps you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts