Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an old '88 F250 with idi, finally got fuel leaks tamed. Truck wanders like it's drunk. It's got the OEM TTB, worn clean out, I've watched several "overhauling your TTB" videos on You Tube, Obviously a big PITA.
Would I be better advised, financially, to fix the TTB, or replace it with a D60 from an F350?
TIA, guys...:D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Bought an old '88 F250 with idi, finally got fuel leaks tamed. Truck wanders like it's drunk. It's got the OEM TTB, worn clean out, I've watched several "overhauling your TTB" videos on You Tube, Obviously a big PITA.
Would I be better advised, financially, to fix the TTB, or replace it with a D60 from an F350?
TIA, guys...:D
Aside from having a 3rd U-joint, they have basically the same number of parts that can wear out as a solid axle. They have beam pivot bushings, but they don't have track bars so that is a wash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usual stuff, haul heavy stuff and pull trailers. Not much offroad, a little actual offroad, but not what you guys mean by offroad..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aside from having a 3rd U-joint, they have basically the same number of parts that can wear out as a solid axle. They have beam pivot bushings, but they don't have track bars so that is a wash.
The TTB seems to require a lot of heavier tooling than I have, to do what needs to be done
I've worked on a couple of 44's and 60's with the tooling I have, and the F350 setup just looks a whole lot more rugged than the TTB stuff.
My 44 and 60 experience is w/Jeeps and 3/4 ton 'binder PU's with closed knuckles..

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
The TTB seems to require a lot of heavier tooling than I have, to do what needs to be done
I've worked on a couple of 44's and 60's with the tooling I have, and the F350 setup just looks a whole lot more rugged than the TTB stuff.
My 44 and 60 experience is w/Jeeps and 3/4 ton 'binder PU's with closed knuckles..
TTB doesn't really require much more but a little muscle to move things around. The spindles are damn near the same, the hubs are the same, it's got a removable third member so differential work is easier once you've pulled the axles and yanked it, springs are simple inverted leafs, etc.

Your cheap option is to replace all the bushings and have it aligned. I recommend poly for the beam pivots on the crossmember and the front shackles. It's a bit of a pain to do the beam bushings but you can have all of this done in a Saturday afternoon and take it to get aligned. Oh yeah, another thing that can help a bit is a support bar to run between the front frame horns to hold everything square. I've seen cracks on the frame horns where these trucks had been abused and the frame horns flexed too much. Let the bushings and shackle do that, not your frame. Build a bumper with enough support and it would do the same thing.

Dana 60 is a bolt in swap, but IMO the front shackle design leaves much to be desired, as does the short stock track bar. Reverse shackle kits will add a little lift. You can buy one from Sky, or you can make your own. If you do this, you'll want the 4" rear block from an F-350 instead of the 2" your F-250 has now. I don't run a track bar with mine. If you plan on keeping the truck indefinitely, I'd take this option for it's simplicity. Run a 315 or 35" tire and the truck would look good and be plenty capable.

It really just comes down to money and what you want out of it. You can probably find a Dana 60 for around $800 if you look hard enough. With $1500 or less you could have the reverse shackle SAS and a set of 4 nice new shocks to match, plus a drop pitman arm.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Personally I'd just swap in a Dana 60 and be done with it. It is pretty much a bolt in upgrade and you don't have to worry about the tires wearing funny and all the B.S. associated with the TTB.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TTB doesn't really require much more but a little muscle to move things around. The spindles are damn near the same, the hubs are the same, it's got a removable third member so differential work is easier once you've pulled the axles and yanked it, springs are simple inverted leafs, etc.

Your cheap option is to replace all the bushings and have it aligned. I recommend poly for the beam pivots on the crossmember and the front shackles. My coworker has tried both rubber and poly on the track bar and ditched poly for factory rubber. It's a bit of a pain to do the beam bushings but you can have all of this done in a Saturday afternoon and take it to get aligned. Oh yeah, another thing that can help a bit is a support bar to run between the front frame horns to hold everything square. I've seen cracks on the frame horns where these trucks had been abused and the frame horns flexed too much. Let the bushings and shackle do that, not your frame. Build a bumper with enough support and it would do the same thing.

Dana 60 is a bolt in swap, but IMO the front shackle design leaves much to be desired, as does the short stock track bar. Reverse shackle kits will add a little lift. You can buy one from Sky, or you can make your own. If you do this, you'll want the 4" rear block from an F-350 instead of the 2" your F-250 has now. I don't run a track bar with mine. If you plan on keeping the truck indefinitely, I'd take this option for it's simplicity. Run a 315 or 35" tire and the truck would look good and be plenty capable.

It really just comes down to money and what you want out of it. You can probably find a Dana 60 for around $800 if you look hard enough. With $1500 or less you could have the reverse shackle SAS and a set of 4 nice new shocks to match, plus a drop pitman arm.
Think I'm gonna go with repair whats there. D60 would be a longer term solution, but I may not own this thing long enough to use up the repair.
Typical diesel PU truck, engine nicely broken in, rest of truck worn out..

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
Think I'm gonna go with repair whats there. D60 would be a longer term solution, but I may not own this thing long enough to use up the repair.
Typical diesel PU truck, engine nicely broken in, rest of truck worn out..
It's the cheaper option and TTB isn't as bad as people make it out to be for regular truck duty.

Ignore that shit about track bar, I was tired and mixed up two different Ford trucks in my head that are owned by the same guy. You don't have one of those.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The TTB will ride nice once it's dialed in.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Personally I'd just swap in a Dana 60 and be done with it. It is pretty much a bolt in upgrade and you don't have to worry about the tires wearing funny and all the B.S. associated with the TTB.
The tires wear fine on my '84 F250 with an IDI, and I haven't had it aligned since I've owned it, or replaced any steering, suspension, or axle components. I think people are too lazy/cheap to properly maintain their trucks and like to use TTB as a scapegoat.

By the way, my '84 tracks and handles about as well as my 2000 F250 with the solid front axle, it just rides a lot stiffer. That is likely due to worn out springs and the fact that Superduties have reverse shackles though.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
The tires wear fine on my '84 F250 with an IDI, and I haven't had it aligned since I've owned it, or replaced any steering, suspension, or axle components. I think people are too lazy/cheap to properly maintain their trucks and like to use TTB as a scapegoat.
I think this is totally true, but there's also some hate from the rock crawler crowd. I think the D44 TTB is the better design due to coils and longer beams, but it's inherently no weaker than it's solid cousin.

The 50 got kinda fuckered with the leaf spring setup and short ass beams. Nothing wrong with it for normal truck duty though. They are not easy on bushings and after 25-35 years, no shit they're going to be worn out. :laughing:

·
Registered
45 Posts

By the way, my '84 tracks and handles about as well as my 2000 F250 with the solid front axle, it just rides a lot stiffer. That is likely due to worn out springs and the fact that Superduties have reverse shackles though.
I agree: if you don't properly maintain your vehicle, you're asking for problems.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts