Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
22re conversion is 75% done.
Mounted the AFM on the RH side using a 84 Celica duct tube. However due to the cage configuraion, the AFM is at a 15 degree angle. Any issue with it not being horizontal?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
just did mine yesterday, i just got the stuff from a junk yard out of some 80's toy car(not sure which, just looked like it would fit)i routed it to the drivers side

·
Registered
25,063 Posts
BlueCoyote3 said:
22re conversion is 75% done.
Mounted the AFM on the RH side using a 84 Celica duct tube. However due to the cage configuraion, the AFM is at a 15 degree angle. Any issue with it not being horizontal?

Yes, there will be an issue, technically...but a minor tilt like that shouldn't be a problem. you can get problems when they're mounted 90 degrees off.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Roger. What size is that 45 fitting? All that stuff I found at Home Depot was either too big or too small.
And does the AFM need to be horizontal?

·
Registered
261 Posts
i used some 2.75" turbo charger hose i got from a local parts store. i got 6' for ~$20. this was to fix the common "torn rubber boot" . i have used it in my DD and to relocate the AFM on my rail (work in progress atm).

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Well I understand your question, and it does make sense to have it horizonital, but we are putting our trucks at all kinds of crazy angles, and it doesn't seem to affect the running of the engine one bit. I say try it!

Doc

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
BlueCoyote3 said:
Thanks Roger. What size is that 45 fitting? All that stuff I found at Home Depot was either too big or too small.
Whatever size it took to fit inside the rubber hose, it is documented on the web page. I kept my AFM horizontal, didn't see any need to try anything different.

·
Registered
25,063 Posts
BlueCoyote3 said:

It should be. The spring for the flapper door is weak, and only moving because of airflow. If the AFM is other than horizontal, then gravity will either try to close it or open it more than the airflow, which can make you run rich/lean. Sure, we put it sideways on the trails, but for *relatively* short periods of time. For a permanent mount, I'd keep it as horizontal as possible.

I don't know if flipping it upside down will affect it, it would depend on the bearing design and strength for the center pin that the flapper rotates around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts