Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets compare the different aftermarket 9" thirds....And discuss

*There are 2 from Strange, the Pro Nodular $329 and S-series nodular $239. Whats the difference between the two other than price and which would be best for use in an offroad rig. Pinion support is $90.

*Moser...Claims strongest on the planet. Any more insite on their products? Case costs $335 Pinion support is $115

*Yukon has a case, havnt heard much about it. Any thoughts or opinions from the Pirate crowd? Case is $251 and Pinion is $100.

*Currie...Know they have been in the 9" business for years and all I seem to hear is that they have been in business for years...Is their stuff really bad ass or is it all hype? Case is $392 and pinion is $110

*Maverick...Does mostly circle track stuff, based in PA, and after talking to them said they are just starting to get into the offroad market. Any knowledge on these guys? Kept talking about how lightweight their stuff was and still being strong. Case is $237 and pinion is $88.

*True HI9...Bad ass but a bit out of my price range... $1500ish depending on options.

*Mark Williams...Huge into the drag racing world and deals with huge spline count axles. Case is $355 pinion supports are bling...$200+

*Pinion supports...The daytona is best over the regular factory, but is there a strength difference between iron or aluminum? Which would be best for running around in the rocks?

So anybody else I missed or should look at?

What would be a good choice for a rear axle? Any stronger/better than the others or is it a wash from an offroad point of view?

Back ground info on my truck...Jeep Comanche thats been tubed out, Jeep 4.6L stroker motor, manual tranny, Stak 3 speed, 1350 rear driveline and currently on 35s with 37s in the future. I want a spool, 35 spline shafts, and 5.13s. What should I get? :D

Thanks,
AARON

·
Registered
547 Posts
It would depend on the type of terrain for rock crawling you cannot beat the Mega HI 9 in the rear and a standard HI 9 in the front . This would give you better drive shaft angels and moves the drive shafts above the lower links.

·
Registered
624 Posts
How about Strange or Moser. I have heard good things about Moser.
If you are going to go low pinion, strange or moser is your best bet. The s-series nodular is the most economical. I would definently recommend getting a pinion gaurd from great lakes if you go low pinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have to add a pinion guard and modify your driveshaft for a conventional center, then the Hi-Nine is alot closer in price when you include those costs. I actually had to shorten my driveshaft when I installed my Hi-Nine.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
ive seen a handle full of hi9s blow up and for the price i would be looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
98 jeep TJ 609 axles
1,200 Posts
ive seen a handle full of hi9s blow up and for the price i would be looking elsewhere.
Hand full?? I've heard of two, BIGWOODY and Rockstomper. Who else has broken them?

Considering Twisted Customs runs em I'm confident in them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
the TRU-HI 9 is kinda in a class by itself. not much else out there compares for what it is. Its kinda hard to compare it to a lo pinion 9" case. But for the financially challenged traditional lo pinion 9" crowd i have yet to break a strange or currie case, richmond spool and precision gears. but like anything there is options to match your wallet.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you have to add a pinion guard and modify your driveshaft for a conventional center, then the Hi-Nine is alot closer in price when you include those costs. I actually had to shorten my driveshaft when I installed my Hi-Nine.
Not really!
The true hi-nine is a bitchn piece but it is alot more money than an s-series built low nine even with a $60 great lake pinion guard.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont want this thread to turn into a bashing of Hi9. Bigwoody is a friend of mine and I have seen the way he drives, the Hi9 just wasnt the right product for his driving style... Lots of throttle from a big motor, and sticky tires :D I have installed several Hi9's into rigs and been very impressed with the product. End of story.

Lets get back into the low pinion housings. Any word on the Yukon housings or other companies other than Strange or Moser?

AARON

·
Registered
235 Posts
Maybe throw up some 'approximate' prices as well? That would help me decide, for sure.

·
Vendor
6,979 Posts
stock nodular nine should handle 37's with ease possibly run a dayton pinion support... oh and don't forget the GLO 9" pinion guard!!!!!!!! Big Woody runs it and I don't think he has broke it yet, although I did see it was banged up a little on my last run at Harlan.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stock nodular nine should handle 37's with ease possibly run a dayton pinion support... oh and don't forget the GLO 9" pinion guard!!!!!!!! Big Woody runs it and I don't think he has broke it yet, although I did see it was banged up a little on my last run at Harlan.
A yoke guard is in my future thats for sure! If he hasnt broken it, its probably not going to.

AARON

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have a yukon case, and i am not impressed.

the machining and finish isnt consistant, and the whole thing was covered in a oil from the machining process. i was told by jay and randys ring and pinion that this thing did not need to be painted i left it outside one night and there was rust all over it. strenght wise its about the same as a factory nodular 3rd, i havnt broken mine yet, 4.0L and 37s with 4.88s.

paid low $300 something ish for it pt # YP DOF9-2-325

for my next one i think im going to go with a strange case.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I have heard good things about Moser like I said. Price is good, lots of options, fast shipping. The new Mega Hi-9 would be badass out back, but they are TONS of money. For a budget I would go spider housing with Semi-Float setup, Moser Nodular Third with a spool and your choice of gears. Good to go

·
Registered
547 Posts
Where have you seen a hand full of HI 9'S blow up just curious? And I am deffiently not bashing I own 2.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will post up rough pricing here in a little bit. Need to get my notes together :grinpimp:

Where have you seen a hand full of HI 9'S blow up just curious? And I am deffiently not bashing I own 2.
Dont know about him, but I have seen 3 broken ring and pinions from BIGWOODY. I did the gear set on the last one he had when I worked at CRS and it held for a year before he sold it and went with a Strange low pinion housing. Pretty sweet carnage :flipoff2:

i have a yukon case, and i am not impressed.
the machining and finish isnt consistant, and the whole thing was covered in a oil from the machining process. i was told by jay and randys ring and pinion that this thing did not need to be painted i left it outside one night and there was rust all over it. strenght wise its about the same as a factory nodular 3rd, i havnt broken mine yet, 4.0L and 37s with 4.88s.
paid low $300 something ish for it pt # YP DOF9-2-325
for my next one i think im going to go with a strange case.
Anybody else have the same issues? I was kinda hoping they would be nice, as I have always had good luck with Yukon stuff. Been running their super 44 joints for 2 years with out issues and ring and pinions in my axles.

Wngrog has had alot of 9's in his rear.
That sounds dirty :D

AARON

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
comp use ... 2 at donner on the same car. front and rear.

i am more turned off to the fact they wont sell parts.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts