Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been lurking here for a while now and finally have something worthy of posting. At least I think so...

I am in the process of putting a 2006 4.0L in my CJ5. I have everything wired up and the engine runs, but I don't have any guages on it. I really don't want to run street T's to run the original gauges, and my understanding is they won't work with the 2006 setup.

Is there any way to run like some Autometer's direct without using the 2006 dash? Any slight chance someone replaced their gauges in their year old Jeep? :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
I put a 2004 4.0L into my YJ, with Autometer Phantoms. To make the gauges work, you just need to tap into the sensor wires prior to the PCM. The signal from the PCM to the gauges on the stock setup is a PCI bus type signal, and is not usable by the gauges.

Bottom line is get some Raychem waterproof heatshrink, cut the sensor wire and solder in your splice, then shrink the Raychem. To make an Autometer tachometer work with the DIS ignition system, you need to buy Autometers tach adapter, and tap it into the DG/LG wire that runs to the coil pack. Also be sure and set the DIP switches on the back of the tach to the 6-cylinder setting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, you are on CJoffroad too right? Recognize the screen name. I had a feeling the signals before the PCM were normal but wanted to verify before I cooked something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts