Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 Bronco dedicated mud truck that i have on AG tires about 36" OD and on 16" wheels. the rear are on some Superior Traction R2 style 7.5-16 in a dually setup while the fronts are on Goodyear R1 11.2-16 tires. Appearance be damned, it was VERY effective and i could idle though everything and never got stuck at the last event i took it

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud Sky

but i recently swapped to Superduty D60 (converted to 8x6.5) and found the 16" wheels really interfere with the front calipers, and the 16" dually limits options rear disc brake setup so i currently have no rear brakes. also those 36" are kinda small. so im thinknig about liftin the truck some more and going bigger up to something like a 38-40" AG tire and probably going SRW instead of dually

im trying to do this as budget as i can because i only use the truck like 1-2 times a year (last used over 2 years ago) so im thinknig about finding some cheap 20" 8x6.5 wheels from martketplace. my plan was soemthing like a 11.2-20 R1/R2. but being a cheap guy as i am, i was looking at off-brand tires. even thinknig of ordering from Alibaba if needed. if i can get 20" dually wheels and the tires cheap, i might stick dually since AG are sooo narrow

any recommendations of what my best options are for wheels n tires?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just a shot in the dark..but I had 20" kioti???(not sure of spelling) tractor rims in for welding. They had 38" tall tires about 9.5" wides on them. Owner bought a spare rim and tire from the dealer.cost him 650$ Canadian.
Seemed to me like they'd bolt right up to a Dana60 hub. I was gonna try one one my eXploder,but ran out of time..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i cant really find much info on tractor wheels. but it seems that most are 8x8 pattern or soemthing else. i guess there were a couple 8x6.5 pattern wheels. but dont really knowe much about tractors wheels.

my understanding is tractor tires for 20" wheels should fit 20" automotive wheels. so i was thiknknig some cheap 20" 8x6.5 wheels from marketplace. but even then tractor tires are still kinda expensive

a few companies make 11.2-20 tracotr tires. but because this is a dedicated mud truck thats so rarley used, i was thinknig some china tires would be fine.

i see that PaddyTires.com is selling tires for 20" wheels in a few different sizes. but they seem to use different companies it looks like since every pic of them has a different tire on them
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

i have no problem running inner tubes, my current tires are using them. made mistake of not running a tube on my front tires and it popped the bead. annoying to try and get them sealed with the mud in them
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
266 Posts
Honestly I Never ran ag tires on anything but ...a tractor. Thought about it...but I see lots more broken parts with the terrain around here. I break enough shit on bald KM2s.

With a tractor steel rim... Just get the ones you want. Get them re-centered to 8x6.5. i'd run a boring farm style steel wheel.. and cut out the center and reweld a new one with 8x6.5.
If your welder is half ass decent...they should even balance out okay....for an Ag tire......
With the right jig up...it's pretty easy and quick. Actually a guy around here use to re-center a bunch of wheels,and used the same "jig" to build custom steel beadlocks, etc

·
Registered
436 Posts
Tall, narrow, cheap:

I bought some LT235/75r15 from them for my daily driver, have not tried them, yet.

Most of the negative reviews were from 6+ years ago so I thought I would give them a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tall, narrow, cheap:

I bought some LT235/75r15 from them for my daily driver, have not tried them, yet.

Most of the negative reviews were from 6+ years ago so I thought I would give them a shot.
thats a really cool idea. would be great for smaller truck needing some cheap mud tires. only real issue is they dont really have the sizes i need and they use the semi truck wheel size. also they dont look very aggressive.

but i like your thinknig

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i went through a catalog and found plenty of tire options. i even narrowed it down to using the cheaper brands cause im not spending 600$ a tire. many of them are R1, R1W, and some are R1W+. no idea on actual avalibility on most of these however.

an issue with some of these narrower tires are trying to find a 20" wheel thats narrow enough for them. most aftermarekt 20" wheels are 10" or 12" wide. i think i could possibly use stock Dodge 20" wheels which are a 20x8 8x6.5. downside is the centerbore is alittle smaller than the Fords but i can probably fix that. 121.3mm vs 124.9mm. they have alot of backspace (6.65") so i might have to run wheels spacers anywasy

BKT 94055180 R1W+ (actually designed for 'mud bogging tractors') $310 each on Amazon free shipping
37.4" tall, 9.3" wide. R20 7-8" wide wheel.

MRL 02008092TT R1 (215$, but unknown availability)
40.1" tall, 11.5" wide. R20 9-10" wide wheel

Petlas 14050 R1W? (225$, unknown availability)
37" tall, 9.5" wide. R20 7-8" wide wheel

Petlas 14100 R1W? (266$ unknown availability)
39" tall, 11.1" wide. R20 10" wide wheel

Tiron 101060050022 R1? (274$, shows 2 in stock, other places show availability)
39.4" tall, 11" wide. R20 9" wide wheel

Petlas 16010 R1W? (285$, availability unknown)
37.6" tall, 11.4" wide. R20 9-10" wide wheel

Tiron 101060010134 R1? (325$, shows 9 in stock)
39.6" tall, 11.8" wide. R20 9" wide

Petlas 14110 R1W? (330$, unknown availability)
41.4" tall, 12.6" wide. R20 11" wheel

Starmaxx RK340 R1W (358$, shows 3 in stock, other places show avalibility)
37.6" tall, 11.1" wide. R20 9-10" wide

Petlas 16040 R1W? (375$, unknown avalibility)
41" tall, 14" wide. R20 10-12" wide

Petlas 16020 R1W? (392$ each, shows many in stock)
38.7" tall, 12.6" wide. R20 9-11" wide

and there are more but these were the cheapest listed. few of these are higher on my list than others. im kinda a fan of that 41x14" Petlas. but obviously availability is key. the Tirons seem like a good comprimise. that BKT would be great if it was available in wider than 9.3"

·
Registered
266 Posts
You definitely have good options for cheap there! Center bore isn't that big of a deal if you have a large lathe... Or access to one. Or a milling machine. ...
I mean....a die grinder comes to worst.....but I'd be sketchy about it unless it was a trailer queen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts