Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title states it all. I'm a newbie on airbags :shaking:

Anyways, I have a few newbie type questions to help with my understanding.

1) Is an airbag just a replacement for a spring(leaf, coil, etc)?

2) Does an airbag need to be at a particular PSI to work as a spring? Or if the ride height is adjusted, will it still dampen vibrations the same?

3) Is there a particular brand/model that would work better for an offroad suspension? (rockcrawling and such... no mud or high speed jumps :p)

Anything else I should know about airbags that might be of use? Links or the like would help too.

I'm just debating what to do for "springs" on my latest project. It won't be in competitions so I'm considering airbags instead of coilovers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Airbags

Airbags do replace springs, coils, but you still need to 4 link or 3 link. you can use a firestone air bag with 1/2 in port and 1/2 in air lines so you can fill them quick. You may want to use 1/2 in dump valves to deflate quik. let me know if you have more ?'s. I had a s-10 with a full air ride suspension. :) You can run the bags at 0 p.s.i all the way up to about 145 p.s.i

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you were going to recommend an airbag, what part number would you use?

This is going on a flatbed pickup type rig.

Also, I assume as you add or release air, the ride height is effected... but what happens to the actual ride of the vehicle?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have little p.s.i. in it you get a real spongey ride the more p.s.i the stiffer the ride just like the ajustable rancho shocks. i will get a part # for you. you should look in a truckin magazine the come in a variety of sizes or you can call airlift direct their # is 1-800-248-0892. you will have to put a limiting strap on it because you dont want the weight of your axel hanging from it so you might need a taller airbag which they have from 6 in all the way up to 14 in.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back to the top for more info :D

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rugburn, thank you for the link :)

Anyone else have some info?