Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Dodge 2500 4X4 a month ago.
The PO had installed airbags on the back to help with towing.
Do I need to keep pressure in them all the time or can I drop the gauge to 0.
I was told by one guy that you need to keep some pressure in them or the bags will start cracking.
Just thought I would get others oppinions on this

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've been told the same thing. I always run mine with about 15lbs, but that's because I need the height. I'd be tempted to keep 5lbs in 'em, even if I didn't, though. What's it hurt?

Mark

·
Registered
543 Posts
It is definetly better to keep a little pressure in them and you won't notice anyway.. If for instance you were to jack it up in the back and put jack stands on the frame you would notice that they will fold in on themselves with no pressure in the extended position and that isn't goo for them. Keep them at about 7-10 psi....

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
you should also change the air in them every week or so!!!!:flipoff2:
you dont want stale air in them

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should usually keep a minimum of 5 - 10 PSI in em depending on manufacturer and Model. I usually keep mine up just enough to keep the bottom of the bags off the mounts (25PSI) to prevent them from trapping dirt. So the dirt doesn't wear a hole in em.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, 5 to 10 psi it is.
trying to get this thing to ride as soft as I can.
It is a daily driver and most of the miles will be with no load.
I am starting to notice pains from old back injuries and thought about keeping the airbags empty may help but I guess it won't change the ride quality.
The PO had gas charged monotube shocks installed right before I bought it.
I swapped the rears with an old pair of Rancho 9000s I had and that helped a litttle.
I may swap out the fronts with 9000s and install a controller.
I think a concrete bed liner would take care of all of the issues but would be a bitch to remove when I had to actually use the truck to haul or tow anything.

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
If you want alot better ride swap in 1/2 tons springs, yank out the overloads, and just add air to the bags as needed for the load. Made my 1 ton dually ride a hellovalot better.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
yeh we have bags in our work truck 10 psi w/o a load and its best to throw a strap around the axle to the frame if you lift it off the ground

1 - 11 of 11 Posts