Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy

I have a 150psi Craftsman air compressor that has blown 3 air lines in a row - the last air line lasted 3 minutes.

The job I am doing is using an air chisel (made a scraper bit so was using it a lot). Before it started blowing lines, it was distorting the quick connect fitting and/or nipple (which allowed alot of air to release). So, instead of using the quick connect, I plugged the air hose directly into the air chisel. This is when I started blowing air hoses.

The compressor shuts off properly when it fills so the pressure gauge works I guess. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening?
Thanks for the help!

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts
Help to know what hoses you're buying. If I had to waver a guess, I'd say they're just cheap chicom hoses.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. The last two were goodyear and one from costco. I've had the compressor for 10 years and never have had the problem before. The lines ar blower at the end steel fittings on the hoses. Before I hard-hosed it to the chisel, it was breaking the fittings.

There is obviously too much pressure but am not sure from where.

Help to know what hoses you're buying. If I had to waver a guess, I'd say they're just cheap chicom hoses.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
What's your regulator set to? That's what determines the pressure that's in the lines.

It has nothing to do with the compressor shutting off or not.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Are you using it for long periods of time? Heat may be a factor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regulator is set at 90psi (same as what air chisel is rated at). Could the air chisel be defective and causing excessive impact pressure?

What's your regulator set to? That's what determines the pressure that's in the lines.

It has nothing to do with the compressor shutting off or not.
This happens almost immediately and when dead cold. Just tried it after sitting all night and started damaging nipple side at the quick connect fitting.

Are you using it for long periods of time? Heat may be a factor.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
So if it does it when dead cold how is the recommendation of heat being a factor of any use?

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Pics? I have never in my life heard of a compressor ruining a quick connect fitting from over pressure... or from anything for that matter...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not suggesting heat is the problem. But maybe the back pressure in the air chisel. Its either the compressor is putting out excess pressure or, somehow the chisel is.

So if it does it when dead cold how is the recommendation of heat being a factor of any use?
Not much to take a pic of. The nipple is slightly damaged on the sides (to the point of it being very difficult to remove from the quick connect.

Pics? I have never in my life heard of a compressor ruining a quick connect fitting from over pressure... or from anything for that matter...
I'm going to test the chisel on my large IR compressor and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
They do make short rubber snubber hoses that are supposed to absorb pressure pulses. I have never seen one in use, but have seen them in catalogs. Im thinking the OP just ran into a couple of bad hoses

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured out the problem. The scraper tool I welded for the impact chisel did not allow a full range of motion. So they bit was hitting the chisel after every motion. Thanks for the help.

They do make short rubber snubber hoses that are supposed to absorb pressure pulses. I have never seen one in use, but have seen them in catalogs. Im thinking the OP just ran into a couple of bad hoses

1 - 11 of 11 Posts