Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some issues with my on board air system. It appears to me that I am having some icing issues in the manifold. Is this possible? Yes it is cold --- been about zero for a few weeks.... But my tires are flat every other morning and I need my air!

Stats:
Standard York on board air system - 4 years old works great.
From the compressor it goes into the manifold/regulator
From the manifold to a tank and a air chuck off the manifold.
All hoses are fine

Situation:
The compressor spools up fine - hits 120psi in about 1 second and shuts off.
I can get air out of the pop off valve on the top and the air chuck on the side of the manifold but no air is going to the tank.
I haven't torn into it - cause it's zero with a -30 wind chill..... :flipoff2:

Anyone else have an icing issue at the manifold? Someone please validate my diagnosis.
:confused:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
do you have any sort of one way valve in there that you didnt mention? (I know I used on in my set up)
Just a thought that it might be frozen, if you have metal fittings, I would hit em with a propane torch and see if that unfreezes it...
Could carefully hit the rest of the system too if its not pressurized, and nothing flammable is around.

Readuing your post again my guess would be the regulator is frozen....take it off and thaw it out would be the best bet...I dont know how it would respond to heating with a torch, or if it even would freeze up, but it would be my guess...

Get those tires fixed. :)

MJ

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Sounds like the system is wet and freezing up. I would thaw it out and add some Isopropyl Alcohol to dry it out and prevent it from freezing.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maine Jeepah said:

Get those tires fixed. :)

MJ

I don't have a one way valve.

After thinking about it - I think it is icing like a carb might.... the venturi effect, As the air passes through the regulator and then heads for the air tank it goes through a narrow passage way and you get an increase in velocity and a resulting decrease in pressure and the water drop out of the air and ices up.... Simple physics why didn't I think of that earlier, LOL!!

Anyway - I am going to pop it apart and give it a few squirts of something to get it open and keep it from icing up again.

As for the tires :flipoff2: -- I did fix them :D but then I went off road again and lodged another piece of something in the bead. Compounded with the cold a slow leak becomes a pain in the azz. It had only been one tire but today it was 2....

·
Registered
556 Posts
i have seen my manifold get pretty gummed up with sludge, in warm months. cold and not being used and not moving that crap around would cause a block i would think. that being said, i've used mine the last 2 mornings without a problem.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
We run in some pretty cold wether, and I have had no problems while running a seperator in the outlet line. Now of course I have my air manifold right next to my heater in the cab so that helps, but if you don't run a seperator you are shure to get water and oil in your lines (yes every york I have seen around here leaks oil past the piston). If you don't run a good filter that oil and dust will also gum up an air system pretty quick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts