Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
It's really hard to beat an engine driven compressor. The only reason they wouldn't be reliable is due to poor setup. Don't be hung up on running a York either. I've run several different pumps over the last 20 years, and they all worked great. Go with what's easiest. If you can run an OEM pump on OEM brackets, then do it. If you have to fab a mounting bracket, then might as well go with a York.

If an engine driven compressor isn't an option, a powertank would probably be my second choice. High up front cost, and never ending total cost of ownership really put a damper on this option though.

I don't really consider electric and a valid option. I suppose it's better than nothing, but you'll probably freeze to death before you get to street pressure.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
My MV50 finally gave up.........bought it used for $10

Anyone using a Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM Universal Air Compressor? They are around $130 shipped

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Anyone ever mounted a York on a 22re?

For that matter it would be cool for this thread if people with Yorks could post pics of thier set up.
Yes, I did. Well it was a 22r I wasn't cool enough for the "e"! I mounted it in place of the smog pump, pass side of the motor on the bottom. Made a custom base plate to mount it and part of the original smog pump bracket. Of course it was still street registered so in this communist CA I had to swap it out for the smog pump every 2 years, but it only took 20 minutes in and out! I'll look for pics, I no longer have that truck though.

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
I use a power tank. Main reason is I have 3 different snow vehicles and just throw it in whatever one is going out that weekend. Filling is no big deal, there is a local welding supply place that does it. Fills tires fast but the brass fittings do get frosty.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have 3 gallon tanks for sale. stainless steel. i use 2 with a york and i can fill a tire in 3 minutes from 0 psi to 30. re seats beads too.

pm me if interested.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
For speed, and continuous use nothing will beat the York as long as your engine is running :D and you plumb/set it up correctly to not melt hoses after continuous use :smokin:

york + 10lb c02 for backup, 5lb is just too tiny, but is nice for ATVs. New rig will have York + ARB comp for arbs (but also backup), and 10lb c02. Ironically the only beads I've ever seated were for other people, or when I wasn't running double beadlocks and being dumb. Donuts on snow/ice with single beadlocks is an easy way to rip off the tire and screw your trip ;)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts