Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
:eek:

silently going to the garage and removing the k&n in shame... good thing i didn't pay much for it..

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
That url explains why I upgrade my ford PSD to the AIS filter setup.

Dusting a diesel is death to it, and the K&N will do that.

On my zuk, I could care less. I'm leaving the K&N on it. :D

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
removing my K&N that came on my dodge and replacing it with a BHAF this week actually. very nice charts.

jiMMy

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
ImNotRight said:
:eek:

silently going to the garage and removing the k&n in shame... good thing i didn't pay much for it..
lol, same here, my excuse is the truck came with it.

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
I have a Fram in my 1997. Is it any good?

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vova said:
I have a Fram in my 1997. Is it any good?
Without looking at it, I can't say. Remove the filter from the housing and hold it up to the light. If you can't see through the filter, replace it. :p

Seriously, I hope Fram filters are okay, 'cause that's what I use in my PSD. Everything seems to be dust free past the filter when I've checked.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I stay the hell away from anything that says Fram on it.........the drain valves break, the oil filters colapse on themselves and the air filter does the same.

Here is what I run on the PSD a TYMAR Intake www.tymarperformance.com

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Bob Williams said:
Without looking at it, I can't say. Remove the filter from the housing and hold it up to the light. If you can't see through the filter, replace it. :p

Seriously, I hope Fram filters are okay, 'cause that's what I use in my PSD. Everything seems to be dust free past the filter when I've checked.
I just replaced mine a week ago. I ment if it's OK quality :p

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
that's decieving - even the K&N is 96% filtering - are those all re-usable filters? Gotta be apples to apples here..

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Not sure what that "info" really says...

For one - I "dusted" my 12v CTD for almost 10k miles due to a 1" diameter hole in the intake housing area by the filter. Woo-hoo... No problems seen yet.

I use an AFE filter setup myself, and they can dispute "increased flow" benefits all they want, but I wanna know if the stock filter is so good, how did I gain 1+ mpg when I swapped fro a new stock filter to the aftermarket AFE setup?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
DRM, the stock filter might flow well, but its the path through the box that you improved upon.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
DRM said:
Not sure what that "info" really says...

For one - I "dusted" my 12v CTD for almost 10k miles due to a 1" diameter hole in the intake housing area by the filter. Woo-hoo... No problems seen yet.

I use an AFE filter setup myself, and they can dispute "increased flow" benefits all they want, but I wanna know if the stock filter is so good, how did I gain 1+ mpg when I swapped fro a new stock filter to the aftermarket AFE setup?
That info shows that the stock filter has the biggest pressure drop (flows the worst), and filters the best (duh). If you primarily drive on paved roads, or in areas where there is little to no dust, it really doesn't matter much. I run the A/C Delco filter in my Dmax since I run it in dusty areas (dirt roads and construction sites) all the time. I did not need to see that data to figure that out - just look at the filters. Did you ever notice that a boat motor doesn't run any air filter at all? No dust on the lake, no problem. I will agree that there is an issue with aftermarket filter manufacturers that claim that their filters flow better AND filter better than stock. That clearly is NOT TRUE.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Black Dog said:
That info shows that the stock filter has the biggest pressure drop (flows the worst), and filters the best (duh). If you primarily drive on paved roads, or in areas where there is little to no dust, it really doesn't matter much. I run the A/C Delco filter in my Dmax since I run it in dusty areas (dirt roads and construction sites) all the time. I did not need to see that data to figure that out - just look at the filters. Did you ever notice that a boat motor doesn't run any air filter at all? No dust on the lake, no problem. I will agree that there is an issue with aftermarket filter manufacturers that claim that their filters flow better AND filter better than stock. That clearly is NOT TRUE.

When I installed my TYMAR, I got better mileage and better filtration and my EGT's dropped 50*. When I pulled the stock filter off from the box I had to get a pressure washer to clean all the dirt in the hoses from my intake to my turbo. I used to always have to put two coats of grease on the top and bottom of the air filter to it would seal right on the motor. Since the TYMAR I have filtered 3 times the amout of dirt from my motor over the stock filter.

I have always had people that tell me Ford spent lots of $$$ to design that........but some of thier engineers don't know there azz from a hole in the ground and they also design little flaws so you will have to buy a new rig every few years.

Most of the time the stock air filter set-up on anything SUCKS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts