Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building up a mud truck and was woundering how i could use the air pump since i will not be using the emission stuff for this project. i was thinking of using the pump as a type of air injection system . i was going to run the hose into the air filter. would this work or would i just hure the motor? any help would be great or ideas.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Air pumps make about 5psi, and have a very low CFM, about the best use for them (beside emmissions) is to pump up rafts and what not, if you don't have On board air

·
Registered
636 Posts
i dont think they make enough presure to do much of anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the best thing to do is remove it if i am not going to use emissions? if i do that what type of serpintine belt should i use and /or what should i use in place of the pump or just leave it and make sure that no junk gets in the pump.
thank for the help so far.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
depends on what kind of engine you got now about what to do w/o it but definately chunk it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the motor is out of a 83 mustang w/overdrive pullies. what type of belt will i need to use?(year, make, engine size)for serpineteen belt? thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
132 Posts
belts

The 5.0 engines are pretty much the same. I have a 91 GT 5.0 in my bronco and I also removed the air pump. All I did for the pump was use the stock bolt and about a one inch spacer with the stock pully. I measured the diameter of the pully and bought bearings that fit into the pully. There fore I have the pully but no pump. I have not had any problems and that way I used the stock pully and stock belt.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Dude, Ditch the air pump. The easiest way to figgure out the new belt size is..... cut your old belt (in one place), then wrap it around all of your pulleys, have a friend put tension on your idler pulley, then using needle nose vise grips clamp the belt pieces together. Then remove the belt, and take it to the parts store and match it up.

That's what I did. I installed an '88 5.0 Gt motor into my YJ. I dumped the air pump and A/C compressor. I used my YJ power steering pump, and ended up with a 73inch belt.

Just helping to think outside the box!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
BTW: wiggit1971, if you need a hand. I'm only about an hour from Sheboygan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts