Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building very labor intensive cj5 that will not really warrent the need of stroke nor the tune-ability of air shock but a recent deal i found has me interested.

Gona run 48"ish linked radius arm setup front and rear. Probably using 6" tj front couls at all 4 corners.

Wb 100-105"
Sbc/465/203/205
Tube frame and light duty cage

I know airs are typicaly used on light weight buggys and race veh but at what point are they not suitable for a trail/street able rig?
Probably gona be around 3500lbs with obviously a fair chunk of cast iron sprung wieght.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I know nothing about running them with a coil. The ones I’ve done have been just the air by itself, long as possible shock, max oil, and minimum pressure to achieve ride height. Then limit and bump them.

With a coil to support I’d imagine that you could run very little air pressure and set it up so that it sits about mid stroke at ride height, since it will only be doing dampening and not holding the weight.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong, and also may be an idiot.

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And i was not clear enough in what i was saying either.

The plan originaly was coils and shock.

The airs would be the only source of spring if used.

·
Registered
653 Posts
So in that case you’d want to set it up as low in the stroke as possible, the idea is to keep the piston in the oil as much as possible. That coupled with lower air pressure will help prevent them “pushing off” Essentially in an off camber situation the high side shock will want to push itself open, giving an unstable feeling.

The set my friend ran on his YJ were set with about 4-5” of chrome showing on an 18” shock, then limit strapped to only about 14” of travel. Then about an 1-2” of “free” travel before the air bumps hit the pads. Then the last 3” of travel was the shock and bump together.

His was very stable for being on airs alone, tons, 42s with the 4.0 AW4 combo and a “bouncer” style cage.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Go resi out the bottom. Otherwise you will have shit for damping. I got a single tube on mine that flows both directions. I use this to control low speed bleed. All bleed holes are plugged in the piston.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
so the reservoir has the pressure charge correct? or is it just an oil reservoir? I was looking at add a similar setup to my walkers but haven't had time.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Following this as I have 4 2.5’s I haven’t been able to sell and a CJ-5 coming into the shop this winter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
i would say radius arm rear will hurt you more than shock type.

i had 14" 2.0 saws in my BBC th400+np205 buggy ~4000lbs they worked fine after i re shimmed them.
stock they had huge amount of rebound valving,
never had those huge unloading issues people talk but i would say it has more to do with link set up, when goin to coilovers i didnt notice any huge changes to stability even ran air shock with all bleed holes open to make them feel soft.
had them set at mid travel

some trial and error i went trough with them years ago

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2151714-saw-air-schock-flutter-valving.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts