Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I did the JK Coil and Shock Swap on my TJ I noticed my rear upper spring perches had seen better days and in danger of rotting right off the frame!

It looks the frame is fine (in that area anyway) as I attacked above the mounts with a small hammer and luckily didn't punch right through. It seems like road salt must have laid on top of the spring perch and rotted down.

So I started looking into at first just replacing the perch with a weld-on from RuffStuff or Artec, then the gears started turning, and I started looking at Coil-Overs and Air-Shocks because I have no sense.

I plan on replacing my aging Dana 35 with an 8.8 and welding proper shock towers to the frame, but for now I'd like to just handle keeping some springs under the frame.

Could I in theory mount the Air Shock (say a FOX 2.0 with 8.5" Travel and roughly the same Extend/Compress as the JK shock), directly in place of the shock, or does it need to be mounted more vertical?

I'm going to assume that as the angle increase the effective spring rate of the air-shock also increases?

Is there a possibility of damaging the seals or valving from running them at an angle?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
no damage if running them at a angle. as long as they have enough movement in the heims at full stuff/ compression and don't bend the shock. Suck on a street driven rig imo they get hot and fade. theyre great on a crawler especially a light one... If your going to do it your best bet is c/os and get your check book out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts