Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know its not tuesday , but ive been searching all day to find some answers come close but no cigar . whats the pros an cons of running air shocks up front on a truck that does quite a bit of dding ???? , tax time its gonna be a weekend truck if that ....

.. i've read that they contract and expand when get cold an hot (not a big deal) unless there major damages have not read about any
.. i've read just go coil overs , but over priced for me rite now
.. high speed bumps they cant keep up , i'm in fl not the desert an drive an under powered toyota , once again not an issue

i cant find any solid facts on running them on the street besides what i listed if i go this route ill run fox 2.0s 14in travel with bout 5 in of uptravel

· Premium Member
708 Posts
so.... your truck is linked ? :shaking:

· O-ring Technologist
1,164 Posts
They're funky when taking corners. They like to unload and extend when you take corners, and lead to some serious body roll. I would definately say that you would need to be "in tune" with your suspension to feel comfortable driving it on the street. That said, I would dive my truggy on the street (if it were legal) with air shocks at a four corners with no worries at all.

· Registered
50 Posts
I've run sway away 2.0s up front in my DD for around 10mnths or so now..my set-up isnt great (numbers), so much so I'm pulling it in to re-do (as well as link the rear) in the next couple days.

Once you get used to the characteristics, like the unloading as mentioned, its ok..probably scare any passengers & unsuspecting pedestrians half to death tho coming around the corner. I installed some limit straps to stop the body roll..

that worked wonders. I run with around 80-100mm shaft showing and they're pretty firm from there.

flexes ok too..

· Registered
8,965 Posts
The problem with 2.0 (cheap) air shocks on a DD is their extremely low spring rate, much harder to set up, and they require more attention to leaks, etc.

The unloading problems have to do with the super light spring rate for most of the shock travel. They can be tuned to help reduce that, but its not always easy (read the many, many threads about it). 2.5's have a little better spring rate, but then you're pretty close to the cost of coilovers.

If you're on a budget, standard coils and shocks may be a simpler route, or just stick with tried and true leaf springs which are by far the cheapest and easiest.

· Registered
349 Posts
love my air shocks, no height change from -30*c to +30*c that ive noticed, handle high speed stuff well imo, the unloading thing ive controlled as much as possible with more oil/lower pressure and limit straps...but my links suck so that will be a factor with that issue aswell....cheap and easy to tune if you have nitrogen handy

· Registered
916 Posts
Im right in the middle of this now too. im thinking of DD too, so 2.0s are definitely out of the question. 2.5s seem to be the best choice of even entertaining this idea.

ive started setting up a separate coil and shock as somebody else suggested. the thing i dont like with the separate coil and shock is packaging all of that on the drivers side frame rail. granted, im on an FJ40 frame so space is at a premium for me. i cant get my front axle any farther forward with the interference between the box and coil spring mount. Its only 1 more inch id like to get forward, but i may end up buying airshocks because of it.

If i decide to ditch the coils and dont find a decent set of used 2.5 airshocks, im going a set of used coilovers. the price is almost a wash between new 2.5s and a set of used C/Os, as others have already said.

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem with 2.0 (cheap) air shocks on a DD is their extremely low spring rate, much harder to set up, and they require more attention to leaks, etc.

If you're on a budget, standard coils and shocks may be a simpler route, or just stick with tried and true leaf springs which are by far the cheapest and easiest.
i figured they need some care over time , they will eventually end up in the rear later on when im able to 4link it , to get the satisfaction i want out of leafs id almost be at the price of 3linking my front ... coils an shocks look ugly an gaudy to me

love my air shocks, no height change from -30*c to +30*c that ive noticed, handle high speed stuff well imo, the unloading thing ive controlled as much as possible with more oil/lower pressure and limit straps...but my links suck so that will be a factor with that issue aswell....cheap and easy to tune if you have nitrogen handy
thats good to hear that they dont expand . how much oil to psi are u running an how does it affect ur ride an overall suspension movement , tunning is part of the game gotta tune coil overs to get best performance to . i dont mind tunin it fun to me

pretty much what people are saying wont really effect you since your.. planning on running air shocks and leaf springs? or am i missing something?
yes ill be running leafs in the back for awhile which should help control the body roll ,

now whats the diffrence between king 2.0 air to fox 2.0 airs

· Registered
1,951 Posts
i figured they need some care over time , they will eventually end up in the rear later on when im able to 4link it , to get the satisfaction i want out of leafs id almost be at the price of 3linking my front ... coils an shocks look ugly an gaudy to me

thats good to hear that they dont expand . how much oil to psi are u running an how does it affect ur ride an overall suspension movement , tunning is part of the game gotta tune coil overs to get best performance to . i dont mind tunin it fun to me

yes ill be running leafs in the back for awhile which should help control the body roll ,

now whats the diffrence between king 2.0 air to fox 2.0 airs

what suspension are you doing up front?

· Registered
1,951 Posts
i want to do 3 link up front , currently leafs 7 in super lifts stiff as can be on factory hangers an shackles
i thought you had an 87?

back to suspension.. like said you can tune the airshock to not roll/unload as much with more oil and less pressure also the valving..

then you can build roll resistance into your suspension.. You could use a bushing on the frame side of your links. one like landrovers or bronco's

will you run a front sway bar?

are you doing a 3 link with panhard?
wishbone 3 link?

radius arm with panhard?

single radius arm?

for best on road

i think you could do bronco radius arms and bushings . it kinds fights its self giving it some sway bar characteristics .

then if you do a wristed arm on one side. you can pull a pin /bolt and get more flex off road.

it sounds like you have alot of homework to do.

how tall will the vehicle be lifted.. your panhard has to match your drag link..

and if your drag link is on a steep angle then your panhard will need to be also.. and the flatter the panhard the better.

· Registered
349 Posts
I run 16" 2.0 fox
front: 400ml (max) oil @ 220psi with 4" shaft showing
rear: 400ml (max) oil @ 175psi with 6" shaft showing

I am clearly pushing the limits of these 2.0's and if done again would prolly go for 2.5's. however they ride smooth, dont do alot of high speed stuff but they ride better than my buddys willys on plain coils, and always waiting for the leaf sprung crowd. only thing I dont like is the unloading, but as said before my "links" are alot of the cause behind this.

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
i plan on using bushings for my panhard an heims for the links
im coming ton an issue of the link bars hitting the factory crossmember
id like to see more of the radius arms setups on toyotas

· Registered
1,476 Posts
ive been planning this too, i have almost all the parts. but im doing coils and shocks. i bought an 85 axle, land rover radius arms that look just like the land cruiser ones, adjustable coil buckets and brackets, shock mounts, joints, wrangler 4cyl coils and rebuild kits and i need to redo my stock tranny mount so the mounts are on the inside of the frame instead of the bottom. only then can my radius arms have a spot to mount on the frame end. wish i had the money to pull the trigger on the project, i still need all the little annoying bits that add up to hundreds. ive only seen one toyota with radius arms on this site. jeep and ford guys run them all the time, its not like theyre bad. especially since the reason im trying to do it is cuz my ifs is rusty on my dd and i dont want to buy a new truck. who knows if ill be able to fit coils on a mini axle and ifs frame... i hope? i guess ill find out. i wanted to do air shocks too, but ppl dont like them on the road and coil overs on my work truck with no lift and 29s is too expensive

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.