Pirate 4x4 banner

Air starter size for 6v53N Detroit Diesel

6K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 ·
Im looking for an air starter for the 6v53N Detroit Diesel that I'm putting in my '56 IH. It is 318 CID. I found an IR BMPD series starter for a reasonable price but it is listed for applications from 500 to 2000 CID diesel engines and consumes 370 CFM @ 90 psi. The smaller SS175 series is listed for 200 to 1200 CID engines and consumes 300 CFM @ 90 psi.

If the larger starter will physically fit, is there any reason it wouldnt work?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I already have plans for backup air supply.. but thats not the question.

Im not worried about potential problems with the setup just looking for some input on whether it will work or not.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Mine currently has an electric starter. There is no provision for two starters with this setup. I found a diagram online showing the size of the 150BMPD air starter and it looks like it will fit fine. It actually measures slightly smaller than the electric starter.

Heres the 6v53N mocked up in my '56 IH pickup. I've replaced the front frame rails since then.. should be ready to mount the engine soon. You can see the electric starter in this pic.. it's about 16"+ long and almost 6" round.

The main purpose of running an air starter is to scare old women and children.. and probably most men too :flipoff2:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.