Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
There are truck fleets that use them too, CCW comes to mind first and I believe Roadway used them as well. Definitely not popular, but not barely existent either.

In on road applications there's usually also an electric starter installed with an air starter. Cold start in the morning on the electric, air starter after every delivery. Plenty of flywheel housings come with both right and left starter holes machined out for this sort of setup (and just for general adaptability)

I was a diesel tech for over 32yrs and the only company's that had air starters were Roadway and I believe very old UPS trucks, And they only had the 1 air starter. Since the mid 90's rarely will you find an air starter on HWY Trucks. Maybe in the colder northern states they had 2 starters? Air starters are nice due to no strain on the electrical system when starting engines, but when starting a 2 stroke Detroit, you will have far less problems using an electric 42MT starter than trying to keep your air starter system free of leeks. Just my experience and knowledge.

I was a diesel tech for over 32yrs and the only company's that had air starters were Roadway and I believe very old UPS trucks, And they only had the 1 air starter. Since the mid 90's rarely will you find an air starter on HWY Trucks. Maybe in the colder northern states they had 2 starters? Air starters are nice due to no strain on the electrical system when starting engines, but when starting a 2 stroke Detroit, you will have far less problems using an electric 42MT starter than trying to keep your air starter system free of leeks. Just my experience and knowledge.
I'm just passing on what my grandpa's told me, he was mostly into earthmoving equipment in the '70s, but did just about everything under the sun it seems.
He said the idea of running both starters was because of how impossible it was to keep the air systems leak free in the cold. Start it up on electric when the pressure had all bled down overnight, then after that use the air when you can to save wear on the electrical system (and starters, because he usually brought them home to rebuild them to have the truck ready for the day crew)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.