Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have spent the last couple of hours looking for something other than the ARB electric to air switches. I want to replace all the electrical parts and just go straight air. I have seen a couple of examples but was wondering if anyone else has gone down this road and what the good or bad lessons might be. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
we carry a SMC brand valve that is a toggle switch that you could mount in your dash...ill snap a pic of the one i have in my buggy here in a couple mins

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
ARB woes solved

Here's a cool idea!!! When i installed the ARBs, i immediately junked the electrical stuff and went pure pneumatic operating system-- toggles on the dash. I soon grew tired of that, since one has to , even momentarily, take ur eyes off of the trail. I instead picked up an Eaton/Fuller shift knob w/ the pneumatic switches built right into the shift knob. Air lines run down the shift lever thru the tunnel and to front/rear/OBA tank. I slipped an old shock boot over the shift lever and this hides all the lines and the throttle cable for the hand control. Works like a charm! It screwed right onto the tranny shift lever, but another local guy had to insert a wire of some sorts to get it to tighten down properly. Now i have the f/r ARB controls right in hand and they do not interfere w/ driving. The shift knob is made for their air shift transmissions-- 8mm lines, but it works awesome. U'll need a conversion push type air line coupler. I also junked the blue air lines and went with standard DOT 1/4" air lines-- easy to find and cheap. only other thing was to have a dedicated air line from the tank to the shift knob and add an in line pressure regulator to approx. 85 psi. The rest of the OBA system is set at 125 psi. i'd post pix of the project, but i cannot do so for some reason...

mark
RARECJ8

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
likethe others post, the air lines can be had very cheaply at any kenworth/peterbilt dealership. we have one here in reno and it was very affordable. i also carry an extra 6' of line and an assortment of 'T' and straight line compression couplers in the air tool bag. the pneumatic shift knob sold by eaton/fuller is approx $40.00. PN if needed.
mb

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Tim, not to drift toooo far off topic, but i see u have a 45. My buddy here, also named Tim, has a very trick silver colored 64 FJ45LV. Running an LS1, hummer txfr case, mog axles, 40" MTRs and firestone air bag suspension. And we thoufght it was rare and, low and behold, here is another...
mark
RARECJ8

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why doesn't ARB use something like this instead of the electric actuator?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
chaz can you guys get other SMC products? I have a few valves that I need manifolds for.....

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
jays68yak said:
chaz can you guys get other SMC products? I have a few valves that I need manifolds for.....
i might be able to help ya...if you have part numbers for them send me a pm with em and ill see what i can track down :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chaz,

Thanks I am working with Sea Bass on a switch set up right now so if someone else wants them go ahead and make a deal. I will get in touch if I need them in the future. I was just covering my bases. Thanks again

Tim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts