Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen it done nicely before, but can't find the pics now. I'm wanting to setup airbags on my lowers about 8-12" back from the frame pivot point and not use typical coil or 1/4 elliptic springs. I believe that with a well built shock this would be a pretty hot ticket for my buggy. It'll save me some weight too.

I'd run the bags so that I could have them tied together ( so that as one gets squished the other gets pumped) or operated seperately (so I can pump/deflate one side or the other as needed).

So, anybody got some pics/ recomendations as to how to go about this? I'm going to do it, just wondering what others have been through so I don't have to make the same expensive mistakes.

Easy

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
If the bags crossfeed the rear end will be REALLY tippy....

I don't think you need to crosslink them. Other than that if the arm is strong enough you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Hey Easy
I played around with tthe same thoughts for my buggy.

Most of the bags I found do not have very long travel, 9 -12" at most. So you need to attach them to your control arms so the movement is multiplied at the axle. The downside I see to that is needing BEEFY control arms with the associated extra weight.

I planned on bags at all 4 corners, each independendtly controlled. When I added the costs I was over $1000 not including the small bits and pieces. Bags, compressors, control valves, solenoids etc. then you would have to figure hoses and tubing and adapters and fittings. So on cost alone, I headed back to coilovers.

The other problem I cannot get around with bags, is that as you compress air the spring rate increases. Meaning that the more compression you get the higher the spring rate becomes.

So being the lazy ass, cheap bastard I am, I went the simple route.

Later

Grant

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have some experiance with air bag suspension in low riders. Not my truck but for a few kids that wanted it done I (me and a friend) did 2 different trucks. It get's spendy quick for parts. I personally think it is far more trouble than it is worth. If you decide to do it good luck and buy a spare bag. I have some links if you want them PM me and I will shoot them to ya.
HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts